The US$930 million in damages Samsung was ordered to pay Apple last year for infringing its smartphone patents is more than some device makers earn in a year, but for Samsung it's equal to just over 16 days' worth of profit.
Stocks including shares of tech companies tanked on Friday mainly due to worries about slowing global economic growth, but the mixed earnings reports from IT giants did nothing to calm concerns.
Profits were flat in the fourth quarter in Samsung Electronics' smartphone and tablet business, despite an uptick in sales, in part because the company spent more on marketing over the holiday shopping period.
A court in California has ruled that Samsung Electronics infringed in its devices an Apple patent on word recommendations during text input, ahead of a March trial.
NTT DoCoMo has put on hold its plans to launch a smartphone with the new open-source Tizen mobile operating system, a spokesman said Friday.
Chip makers like Qualcomm, Nvidia and Samsung Electronics are working on components that will increase processing power, add more memory and increase screen resolution of next-generation smartphones.
Samsung Electronics is readying an entrant to the increasingly important low-end of the mobile device market with the Galaxy Tab3 Lite, which is powered by a 1.2GHz dual-core processor.
Tablets are getting bigger screens, moving into cars, and dual-booting Windows and Android at this year's International CES show as tech vendors give a glimpse into the gadget's future.
The CEOs of Apple and Samsung Electronics will participate in mediation ahead of a March trial in a patent dispute in a federal court in California.
Samsung Electronics has given guidance that its operating profit in the fourth quarter of 2013 is likely to be down from the same quarter a year ago, although sales may have grown marginally.
Samsung is making a play for the "connected home" with a new service that will let people control things as varied as their refrigerator, TV and heating system via a single smartphone app.
Samsung Electronics has announced a new chip that will make it possible for the company and others to build smartphones and tablets with up to 4GB of RAM.
Devices running the Tizen operating system will be shown Feb. 23 in Barcelona, the day before Mobile World Congress opens there.
Samsung Electronics will ship 35 games with its Smartphone GamePad gaming controller, which can be attached to most of its Android-based Galaxy smartphones.
From single digits to trillions, the tech industry loves numbers, and it generated plenty of them in 2013. Here's a look at some of the figures that stand out from the year:
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Acer's new Chromebook is designed to welcome Android apps
- Adobe patches critical vulnerability in ColdFusion application server
- Opening up Z-Wave code may help to make IoT hum
- Acer is betting your pets need gadgets too
- Bang & Olufsen puts a new spin on the portable Bluetooth speaker
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle RDBMS) 160908/AP/510Asia
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCCompliance Officer - ProcurementVIC
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCABAP DeveloperVIC
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW