Stocks including shares of tech companies tanked on Friday mainly due to worries about slowing global economic growth, but the mixed earnings reports from IT giants did nothing to calm concerns.
Profits were flat in the fourth quarter in Samsung Electronics' smartphone and tablet business, despite an uptick in sales, in part because the company spent more on marketing over the holiday shopping period.
A court in California has ruled that Samsung Electronics infringed in its devices an Apple patent on word recommendations during text input, ahead of a March trial.
NTT DoCoMo has put on hold its plans to launch a smartphone with the new open-source Tizen mobile operating system, a spokesman said Friday.
Chip makers like Qualcomm, Nvidia and Samsung Electronics are working on components that will increase processing power, add more memory and increase screen resolution of next-generation smartphones.
Samsung Electronics is readying an entrant to the increasingly important low-end of the mobile device market with the Galaxy Tab3 Lite, which is powered by a 1.2GHz dual-core processor.
Tablets are getting bigger screens, moving into cars, and dual-booting Windows and Android at this year's International CES show as tech vendors give a glimpse into the gadget's future.
The CEOs of Apple and Samsung Electronics will participate in mediation ahead of a March trial in a patent dispute in a federal court in California.
Samsung Electronics has given guidance that its operating profit in the fourth quarter of 2013 is likely to be down from the same quarter a year ago, although sales may have grown marginally.
Samsung is making a play for the "connected home" with a new service that will let people control things as varied as their refrigerator, TV and heating system via a single smartphone app.
Samsung Electronics has announced a new chip that will make it possible for the company and others to build smartphones and tablets with up to 4GB of RAM.
Devices running the Tizen operating system will be shown Feb. 23 in Barcelona, the day before Mobile World Congress opens there.
Samsung Electronics will ship 35 games with its Smartphone GamePad gaming controller, which can be attached to most of its Android-based Galaxy smartphones.
From single digits to trillions, the tech industry loves numbers, and it generated plenty of them in 2013. Here's a look at some of the figures that stand out from the year:
A South Korean court on Thursday ruled against Samsung Electronics in a lawsuit that threatened to ban older iPhone and iPad models in the country for alleged patent infringement.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- ASUS launches world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
- JB Hi-Fi reaches $2bn revenue mark for 2016 half-year results
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- Modular cellphone kit can be used for IoT and wearables
- Now that AI has mastered 'Go', are all our jobs next?
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - BaselineACT
- FTIT Security Governance ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCHigh Level Network Engineer (Communications)WA
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorNSW
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT