In a gambit aimed at driving manufacturers to beef up protections for USB flash drive firmware, two security researchers have released a collection of tools that can be used to turn those drives into silent malware installers.
Security Research Labs
Most USB devices have a fundamental security weakness that can be exploited to infect computers with malware in a way that cannot easily be prevented or detected, security researchers found.
A pair of severe security problems in millions of SIM cards should be easy for operators to fix, according to the German security researcher who found the issues.
Millions of mobile phones may be vulnerable to spying due to the use of outdated, 1970s-era cryptography, according to new research due to be presented at the Black Hat security conference.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- China goes after unauthorized VPN access from local ISPs
- All new Chromebooks will get Android app support
- The Asus Tinker Board is a powerful Raspberry Pi rival that plays 4K video
- Hugo Barra quits Chinese phone maker Xiaomi to return to Silicon Valley
- Torment: Tides of Numenera preview: This is the bizarre follow-up Planescape deserves
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTChange AnalystVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSystems Engineer - SCCM & Lync/Skype for BusinessQLD
- FTAutomation TesterVIC
- FTChief ArchitectVIC
- FTUNIX / Linux EngineerNSW
- CCService ManagerACT
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- TPProject Manager - eDRMSQLD
- FTBack End DeveloperNSW
- TPSystem AdministratorQLD
- FTLead Drupal Developer - Gold CoastQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Content CoordinatorVIC
- FTFunctional ConsultantNSW
- TPProject Manager - Data ManagementSA
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - Financial Planning - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- CCIT Risk Specialist (Assurance) - TelcoVIC