Social engineering, the act of tricking people into giving up sensitive information, is nothing new. Convicted hacker Kevin Mitnick made a name for himself by cold-calling staffers at major U.S. companies and talking them into giving him information....
If you're one of the 63.7 million people playing the popular Farmville game on Facebook, you've probably noticed a change in how you earn points. FarmVille's parent company, Zynga, agreed last week to remove deceiving mobile subscriptions and "scammy...
It was a notable accomplishment when Windows 7 was not impacted in any way by the vulnerabilities addressed in the six Security Bulletins released by Microsoft for the November Patch Tuesday. It would be even more impressive if Windows 7 proved invul...
Hot on the heels of a reported hijacking of hundreds of Facebook groups, a new variation on an old worm is crawling its way into the social network's walls.
Yesterday was Microsoft's Patch Tuesday for the month of November. There are 6 new Security Bulletins this month: 3 rated as Critical and 3 rated as Important. Not all Critical Security Bulletins are created equally though. You need to understand the...
About fifteen years ago, my husband and his colleague had their laptop computers stolen out of a car. They were fearful of reporting the incident to their boss, largely because the laptops had cost the company about US$7,000 each. A $14,000 hit to th...
It's become an all-too-common scam: A legitimate Web site pops up a window that looks just like a real security warning. It says there's something wrong with the computer, and click here to fix it. A few clicks later, the victim is paying out US$40 f...
Social networking and cloud computing threats abound, our annual Global Information Security Survey finds, making information security important once again to business leaders.
Security researchers are warning that Web-based applications are increasing the risk of identity theft or losing personal data more than ever before.
IPhone lovers and other smartphone users should take heed: A security researcher showed ways to spy on a BlackBerry user during a presentation Wednesday, including listening to phone conversations, stealing contact lists, reading text messages, takin...
The head of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation has stopped banking online after nearly falling for a phishing attempt.
It has been a week since hackers released software that could be used to attack a flaw in Windows Vista and Server 2008, but Microsoft and security companies say that criminals haven't done much with the attack.
Facebook will enhance its social-networking site's privacy features over the next 12 months as a result of a set of recommendations from the Canadian government.
Social networking services like Facebook and Twitter foster a false sense of security and lead users to share information which can be used by cybercriminals and social engineers. The very concept of social networking is based on connecting and shari...
As fireworks boomed on the Fourth of July, thousands of compromised computers attacked U.S. government Web sites. A botnet of more than 200,000 computers, infected with a strain of 2004's MyDoom virus, attempted to deny legitimate access to sites suc...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- This malware pretends to be WhatsApp, Uber and Google Play
- Traffic tickets got you down? This UK robo-lawyer has already saved users millions
- Resold hard drives on eBay, Craigslist are often still ripe with leftover data
- Too many IoT networks? Cisco just bet on this one
- Senator stalls intelligence funding bill over surveillance concerns
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia
- CCTelecommunications Operations Support officerACT
- FTTableau BI DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW
- CCCobol ProgrammerACT
- FTAutomation Test Engineer | C#/.Net focusNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- CCSenior Media AnalystVIC
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Change Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW