When it comes to power-efficient computing, CPUs are weighed down by too many legacy features to outperform GPUs (graphics processing units) in executing common tasks in parallel, said the chief scientist for the GPU vendor Nvidia.
While tech companies are trying to outdo each other in data center design and energy efficiency, small businesses still can find choosing a data center a tough proposition. Entrusting your company's data and valuable information to someone else needs...
Windows HPC Server customers will soon be able to run high-performance computing workloads on Windows Azure, Microsoft is announcing at this week's SC10 supercomputing conference in New Orleans.
Advanced Micro Devices on Tuesday said it will start shipping next-generation Opteron server chips based on the new Bulldozer architecture starting in the third quarter next year.
Cisco Systems posted gains in both profit and revenue on Wednesday for its fiscal first quarter that ended Oct. 30, despite what it called "a challenging economic environment."
In an IT world full of elusive goals, there's probably no target as slippery and generally elusive as server uptime.
Less than a month after its "permanent shut down," LimeWire has been resurrected by an anonymous dev team -- and it's better and more powerful than before. Or, well, something like that.
Arm has entered the server market with Marvell Semiconductor announcing a chip based on its processor architecture, but customer acceptance and design issues could affect its chances of winning market share from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices, anal...
Apple announced the end of the XServe line, effective January of 2011. The small and loyal Apple market may be disappointed by the loss, but Apple is also unveiling some alternative Mac server options to fill the void.
Apple has said it will stop selling its Xserve rack servers early next year, killing a product that has traditionally sold in low quantities.
The NASA team behind the Spirit and Opportunity Mars rovers--the Jet Propulsion Laboratory--has announced a move to cloud computing.
SAP is working with NEC to make portions of SAP's enterprise resource planning applications available via NEC's cloud infrastructure, the two companies announced on Wednesday.
China is unveiling a new supercomputer on Thursday that incorporates thousands of graphics chips and can reach a sustained performance of 2.5 petaflops, making it one of the fastest systems in the world.
Unisys has introduced a homegrown virtualization technology to boost performance for certain workloads on its ClearPath mainframe systems, including "modern" applications such as Java servers and PHP programs.
IBM has refreshed its CloudBurst products for building a virtualized private cloud, adding configurations based on its Power7 processor on top of the x86-based systems it already offered.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Need more analytics speed? Cray wants to light a fire under your big data
- Tips and apps to improve your sales
- Why technology is so scary for three-quarters of Aussie businesses
- Synology DS216+ Review
- Facebook denies bias in Trending Topics, but promises changes nevertheless
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCLead Business Analyst - multiple rolesVIC
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCHastus AdministratorVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160526/AP/506Asia
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCSecurity Consultant - Telecommunications and NetworksSA
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCSAP Hanna ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- FTSharepoint Developer - O365NSW
- CCProject Coordinator-IT Application Software Implementation BckgNSW
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD