Dell has appointed a company veteran to run its server unit following the departure of an executive known for his strong opinions.
VCE is expanding its line of all-in-one cloud systems, adding one with all-flash storage and offering more options for enterprises that want an easier path to the cloud.
Dell, not typically an early adopter of server technology, is still experimenting with systems based on ARM architecture while rival Hewlett-Packard has jumped ahead.
A coalition of equipment providers have joined to develop a new specification for controlling servers over the network, promising to eliminate data center vendor lock-in.
IBM is pumping more horsepower into servers based on its Power architecture, which is best known for arming the Watson supercomputer to outperform humans in game show "Jeopardy."
Nine months after it was first announced, Lenovo's acquisition of IBM's x86 server business is headed towards closing.
Ahead of competition from ARM servers, Intel is putting more weight in the server space with a new Xeon D family of chips, which will be in systems next year.
With Lenovo expected to close its IBM x86 server business acquisition by year end, a glimpse at the combined server product line has emerged.
Chasing data-center trends, top server makers have made storage and memory capacity a priority in their new servers.
Intel has designed its latest server chips to provide the building blocks to modernize "legacy data centers" by providing more processing cores, throughput and power-saving features.
Server shipments and revenue grew for the first time since 2011 in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, a trend likely to continue in the second half of the year, according Gartner.
Server sales have picked up after a long slow spell and are likely to stay buoyant well into 2015 and beyond, according to IDC.
With the Chinese government turning up the heat on foreign IT vendors, citing security concerns, IBM is finding help from an unlikely source: a competitor, local server vendor Inspur.
Hewlett-Packard reported a slight uptick in revenue for the second calendar quarter as its PC sales increased again.
Oracle has made it possible to run a much older but still widely used version of its database software on Exadata, in a move that could make heretofore reluctant buyers pull the trigger on a purchase of the data-processing appliance.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- China’s booming middle class augurs well for Apple, says Tim Cook
- Intel's Atom architecture to live on despite smartphone chip cancellations
- Microsoft's CEO explains why his company sued the US government
- Can Oracle buy its way into the cloud?
- Michael Dell talks to EMC World about massive merger
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProcurement Contract SpecialistQLD
- FTGraduate IT Administration SupportVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Delivery Manager ( RTTM)NSW
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCSenior Frontend DeveloperNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia