A decade-old race to crank up core counts in x86 chips may have lulled, but the competition has just started picking up in ARM processors.
Oracle has given the first peek at its upcoming Sparc M7 processor, promising big performance gains for customers who use the in-memory compute features of its 12C database.
SAP has relaxed hardware requirements for using its Hana in-memory database platform for development and testing, in a move that could make existing Hana customers' operations easier and less expensive while also generating more Hana sales.
Advanced Micro Devices may be willing to make custom ARM server chips for customers, much like it made custom chips for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 game consoles.
Atos's offer to acquire servers and services specialist Bull has been approved, making it possible for the company to beef up its security and cloud computing offerings.
Expectations for the success of ARM servers are diminishing as processors and product releases get delayed, a top Dell executive said.
Red Hat has developed a version of the Linux operating system that can be used to test chips and associated hardware based on the ARMv8-A 64-bit architecture for servers with the aim of standardizing that market.
Advanced Micro Devices is moving closer to a motherboard design that will accept both x86 and ARM chips with the shipment of its first 64-bit ARM board.
The first third-party chips and servers licensed to use IBM's Power architecture will be on the market early next year.
Two days after Hewlett-Packard said its chairman had resigned due to ill health, the company has named a replacement: President and CEO Meg Whitman.
Intel has started shipping Xeon E5 chips based on the Haswell microarchitecture to server makers, and the chip will be in servers this quarter.
VoIP PBXes, NTP servers, Web-controlled power strips - hack together one of these handy, cheap solutions for the server closet and beyond
IBM researchers are pursuing an ambitious project to deliver supercomputers that can be held in the palm of your hand.
Micron wants to shake up decades-old memory implementations with its Hybrid Memory Cube technology, which will be available as an alternative to DRAM modules starting in the first quarter next year.
Google is well-known for building its own server hardware to meet the unique needs of its massive compute network, but that won't always be the case, according to the head of its infrastructure team.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- These are the 3 big reveals from Microsoft's Surface event
- AI and robots aren't gunning for your job, White House economist says
- DDoS attacks from webcams, routers hit Singapore's StarHub
- Emergency Flash Player patch fixes zero-day critical flaw
- Attackers are now abusing exposed LDAP servers to amplify DDoS attacks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (Java/Oracle) 161102/SSA/624Asia
- CCChange Analyst - BankingNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Solution Architect (Permanent and/or Contract Option)VIC
- CCInfrastructure Specialist :SCOMWA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- CCProject AdministratorVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCIT Manager - ANZNSW
- CCSenior Pega DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Functional Analyst - PeopleSoftQLD
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Process Specialist/AnalystNSW
- FTBiomedical Project ManagerSA
- FTiOS Developer - PermanentWA
- FTSolution Architect with end user computing (EUC) experienceNSW
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD
- FTBizTalk Developer X3VIC
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCData Warehousing /Business Intelligence DeveloperACT
- CCSenior C# .Net EngineerNSW
- CCSAP GRC consultant with ABAP experience . Canberra LocationNSW
- FTCommercial Contracts Manager - DefenceSA