A decade-old race to crank up core counts in x86 chips may have lulled, but the competition has just started picking up in ARM processors.
Oracle has given the first peek at its upcoming Sparc M7 processor, promising big performance gains for customers who use the in-memory compute features of its 12C database.
SAP has relaxed hardware requirements for using its Hana in-memory database platform for development and testing, in a move that could make existing Hana customers' operations easier and less expensive while also generating more Hana sales.
Advanced Micro Devices may be willing to make custom ARM server chips for customers, much like it made custom chips for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 game consoles.
Atos's offer to acquire servers and services specialist Bull has been approved, making it possible for the company to beef up its security and cloud computing offerings.
Expectations for the success of ARM servers are diminishing as processors and product releases get delayed, a top Dell executive said.
Red Hat has developed a version of the Linux operating system that can be used to test chips and associated hardware based on the ARMv8-A 64-bit architecture for servers with the aim of standardizing that market.
Advanced Micro Devices is moving closer to a motherboard design that will accept both x86 and ARM chips with the shipment of its first 64-bit ARM board.
The first third-party chips and servers licensed to use IBM's Power architecture will be on the market early next year.
Two days after Hewlett-Packard said its chairman had resigned due to ill health, the company has named a replacement: President and CEO Meg Whitman.
Intel has started shipping Xeon E5 chips based on the Haswell microarchitecture to server makers, and the chip will be in servers this quarter.
VoIP PBXes, NTP servers, Web-controlled power strips - hack together one of these handy, cheap solutions for the server closet and beyond
IBM researchers are pursuing an ambitious project to deliver supercomputers that can be held in the palm of your hand.
Micron wants to shake up decades-old memory implementations with its Hybrid Memory Cube technology, which will be available as an alternative to DRAM modules starting in the first quarter next year.
Google is well-known for building its own server hardware to meet the unique needs of its massive compute network, but that won't always be the case, according to the head of its infrastructure team.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Optus looks to lock in EPL fans with new bundles
- A Russian hacker gave away millions of email credentials for social media votes
- It's time to future-proof Australia's copyright laws for the 21st century
- Prepare for the rise of the augmented human: Futurist Simon Raik-Allen
- This startup uses machine learning to turn your old enterprise apps into mobile ones
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCUAT Test AnalystWA
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTApplication Team Lead | Billing & CreditVIC
- FTMultiple opportunities for Front and Back end Web DevelopersVIC
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Workforce ManagementVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCService DeskWA
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC