Samsung Electronics and South Korean mobile operator SK Telecom plan to demonstrate next week research into future "5G" wireless and data transmission at 7.55Gbps.
The Wi-Fi Alliance warned that LTE on unlicensed frequencies could interfere with Wi-Fi and said it plans to collaborate with the 3GPP cellular standards group to help prevent that.
In the hunt for ways to improve coverage and increase cellular speeds, Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile in the U.S., and SK Telecom of South Korea, are considering using LTE over 5GHz, which today is used by Wi-Fi networks.
Chip vendors and device makers are readying the smartphones, hotspots and cars that will let users eventually enjoy higher download speeds with LTE-Advanced.
Faster and more flexible mobile networks enabled by small cells, virtualization and next-generation LTE are expected to highlight infrastructure trends at Mobile World Congress next week.
Apple's next-generation iPhone, dubbed iPhone 5S or iPhone 6, could come with support for the LTE-Advanced wireless standard, offering twice the data speed as the current 4G LTE networks.
South Korean operator SK Telecom said it launched an LTE-Advanced network on Wednesday, offering speeds of up to 150Mbps on an upgraded version of Samsung's Galaxy S4 handset.
Qualcomm plans to demonstrate a peer-to-peer wireless technology that will let devices form "neighborhood-area networks" at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week.
The SIM cards in cellular telephones might be smaller than a postage stamp and less than a millimeter thick but that hasn't stopped South Korea's SK Telecom from cramming all the major components needed to run Google's Android OS inside one of them.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's "Holoportation" will virtually beam you into another room
- Russia claims it foiled a cyber attack from a foreign spy service
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Random iPhone 6s shutdowns due to faulty battery component, Apple says
- Researchers find a way bypass the iOS activation lock
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Developer - Java and AWSVIC
- FTICT Manager - DefenceACT
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperWA
- FTIT Business PartnerNSW
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- CCApplication Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer).ACT
- CCSiebel DeveloperNSW
- FTIOS Developer (Permanent) Finance CBDNSW
- CCMainframe ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst- Agile DigitalVIC
- CCSecurity Consultant (Perth CBD based)SA
- FTSenior Project Manager / Program ManagerNSW
- FTTraffic / Production ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk Consultant - Entry Level / GraduateOther
- FTSenior Manager AnalyticsVIC
- FTSecurity Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCFinancial AnalystNSW
- CCWeb Application SpecialistWA
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTSENIOR DEVELOPERQLD
- FTTSM SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Manager - InfrastructureQLD