Analysts today called Tuesday's announcement that eBay Inc. is looking to spin off Skype via an initial public offering a smart move by the online auction house as it tries to get its house back in order.<br/>
Skype founders Janus Friis and Niklas Zennstrom are trying to <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/technology/companies/11skype.html?_r=1">buy back</a> their Internet phone company from eBay, the New York Times reported over the weekend. The pa...
EBay plans to spin off Skype via an initial public offering (IPO) because the Internet telephony unit doesn't mesh with the company's two other businesses - e-commerce and online payments.
Flaws in popular Internet-based telephony systems could be exploited to create a network of hacked phone accounts, somewhat like the botnets that have been wreaking havoc with PCs for the past few years.
Skype unveiled its iPhone and BlackBerry applications at the CTIA Wireless trade show on Tuesday, taking its VoIP capability into the inner sanctum of mobile operators that still depend on voice minutes for most of their revenue.
Skype is set to launch a mobile application for the iPhone on Tuesday, a long-awaited entry to Apple's App Store, and one for BlackBerry devices in May, Skype officials have confirmed.
Skype may launch a version of its mobile Voice-over-IP (VoIP) and instant messaging service as early as next week, according to a report from Om Malik of GigaOM. If true, the application could prove popular with cost-conscious iPhone users who'd like...
Skype carried around 33 billion minutes of international voice calls last year, or around 8 percent of all international voice traffic, according to market researcher TeleGeography.
Skype Technologies SA announced Monday a beta version of its popular voice-over-IP service for businesses that have IP-based switches running on the Session Initiation Protocol.
Mobile operators O2 and Orange may refuse to offer Nokia's N97 handset unless the phone manufacturer removes the preinstalled Skype software.
Skype will license a high-quality audio codec in its latest VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol) software to any developer or vendor free of charge, the eBay subsidiary announced Tuesday.
Suspicious phone conversations on Skype could be targeted for tapping as part of a pan-European crackdown on what law authorities believe is a massive technical loophole in current wiretapping laws, allowing criminals to communicate without fear of b...
Skype is developing a VOIP (voice over Internet Protocol) software client for Nokia's top-of-the-range N97 smartphone, executives of both companies said Tuesday.
Internet telephony software company Skype is pushing ahead with videoconferencing in a bigger way with the release of version 4.0 for Windows, but the company is yet to standardise its releases for Linux and Mac OS X.
Rumor has it on the Internet that eBay is trying to sell Skype to none other than Google -- even though the service proved to be quite a cash cow in 2008. With eBay reporting a downfall in revenue and Google still going strong, this rumor might actua...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) speed up web browsing for users
- Iran orders messaging apps to store data of local users in the country
- Staring at your phone? The next ARM chips are just for you
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella follows Apple’s Tim Cook to India
- Shared malware code links SWIFT-related breaches at banks and North Korean hackers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTOPEN _ ASAP_Technical Specialist COEACT
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCIT Program ManagerACT
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCOracle Applications Team LeadNSW
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Integration Solution ManagementVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperACT
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/.Net) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- CCSenior Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- CCOperations Systems Support ManagerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia