Mobile operator 3 UK will allow users to enjoy unlimited Skype-to-Skype calls and messages without ever having to pay, as long as they have a compatible handset and a SIM card from the operator, it said on Thursday.
Now that eBay has set a tentative timetable for spinning off Skype, the question becomes whether the Internet phone company can become a legitimate force as a voice service provider.
Analysts today called Tuesday's announcement that eBay Inc. is looking to spin off Skype via an initial public offering a smart move by the online auction house as it tries to get its house back in order.<br/>
Skype founders Janus Friis and Niklas Zennstrom are trying to <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/technology/companies/11skype.html?_r=1">buy back</a> their Internet phone company from eBay, the New York Times reported over the weekend. The pa...
EBay plans to spin off Skype via an initial public offering (IPO) because the Internet telephony unit doesn't mesh with the company's two other businesses - e-commerce and online payments.
Flaws in popular Internet-based telephony systems could be exploited to create a network of hacked phone accounts, somewhat like the botnets that have been wreaking havoc with PCs for the past few years.
Skype unveiled its iPhone and BlackBerry applications at the CTIA Wireless trade show on Tuesday, taking its VoIP capability into the inner sanctum of mobile operators that still depend on voice minutes for most of their revenue.
Skype is set to launch a mobile application for the iPhone on Tuesday, a long-awaited entry to Apple's App Store, and one for BlackBerry devices in May, Skype officials have confirmed.
Skype may launch a version of its mobile Voice-over-IP (VoIP) and instant messaging service as early as next week, according to a report from Om Malik of GigaOM. If true, the application could prove popular with cost-conscious iPhone users who'd like...
Skype carried around 33 billion minutes of international voice calls last year, or around 8 percent of all international voice traffic, according to market researcher TeleGeography.
Skype Technologies SA announced Monday a beta version of its popular voice-over-IP service for businesses that have IP-based switches running on the Session Initiation Protocol.
Mobile operators O2 and Orange may refuse to offer Nokia's N97 handset unless the phone manufacturer removes the preinstalled Skype software.
Skype will license a high-quality audio codec in its latest VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol) software to any developer or vendor free of charge, the eBay subsidiary announced Tuesday.
Suspicious phone conversations on Skype could be targeted for tapping as part of a pan-European crackdown on what law authorities believe is a massive technical loophole in current wiretapping laws, allowing criminals to communicate without fear of b...
Skype is developing a VOIP (voice over Internet Protocol) software client for Nokia's top-of-the-range N97 smartphone, executives of both companies said Tuesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - Citrix & VMWareNSW
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- FTData AnalystACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- CCPricing ManagerNSW
- CCSAP BW Hana DeveloperVIC
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- CCProject Manager- transformation from SAP Oracle to SAP HANANSW
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCAgile Performance Tester- Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence, JiraNSW
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- CCData Integration specialistACT
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW