Microsoft's $8.5 billion acquisition of Skype could profoundly influence a set of collaboration and conferencing technologies called Unified Communications (UC) that have taken years to catch on, analysts said Thursday.
At first glance, Microsoft's whopping $8.5 billion acquisition of Skype may seem like a pure consumer play to bolster Windows Live, Windows Phone 7 and Xbox Kinect -- or an extremely expensive way to prevent Google from gobbling up Skype first.
Microsoft's Skype acquisition will result in voice and video calling blended into lots of existing Microsoft products, but the company also stressed that it'll keep building Skype across other platforms.
Microsoft announced today that it purchased Skype for $8.5 billion. After a week of speculation about a possible acquisition by either Facebook or Google, the Microsoft news has shocked the tech world and stolen Google's thunder on the opening day of...
When rumors began circulating that Facebook was eyeing Skype for potential purchase, more than a few observers began to get nervous.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer today promised that the company would continue to develop and support Skype on rival platforms.
Microsoft's scooping up of Skype should be a great boon for the software maker, despite the hefty $8.5 billion price tag, say industry analysts.
Microsoft will integrate Skype's calling features into many of its key products, including Office, the Xbox and its Windows Phone software, but it will it will also continue to offer Skype for competing platforms, CEO Steve Ballmer said Tuesday.
Microsoft's $8.5 billion acquisition of Skype is largely seen as a defensive move by analysts, as the company struggles to keep up with the likes of Google and Facebook on the Internet.
Microsoft has agreed to buy Skype for $8.5 billion, the companies announced Tuesday.
Microsoft is close to finalizing a deal to buy Internet phone company Skype Technologies for over US$7 billion, and a deal could be announced by Tuesday, according to a news report.
As it promised last week, Skype today began serving up an update to Mac users of its chat and Internet phone software, fixing a dangerous bug that a researcher said could be used to build a worm.
Security researchers revealed a dangerous exploit in Skype for Mac which can be exploited to create a worm that can take control of Mac PCs. This FAQ will help you understand the potential impact of the threat, and what you can do to protect your sys...
Skype plans to push out an important update to its Skype for Mac software next week that will fix a big that could be leveraged by hackers looking to build a self-copying worm program.
Both Facebook and Google are in the running for some sort of joint venture with consumer voice-over IP (VoIP) giant Skype, according to a Reuters article.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Critical VPN key exchange flaw exposes Cisco security appliances to remote hacking
- Qualcomm bringing LTE connectivity to wearables with new Wear platform
- Qualcomm's new chips target low-cost smartphones with premium features
- Facebook withdraws Free Basics from India after regulatory debacle
- Twitter offers new timeline feature
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PEXASA
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- CCAutomation QAVIC
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCOperations AnalystNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT