Wi-Fi may carry many voice calls within the next few years, but the technology required to make those calls is still young in some ways.
Google has laid the groundwork for its own cellular service by buying capacity on the networks of Sprint and T-Mobile USA, according to news reports.
Sprint's WiMax network, launched in 2008 as the first commercial 4G system in the U.S., will finally shut down in November 2015.
Sprint has reached a deal to buy T-Mobile US for about US$50 billion, according to news reports on Wednesday.
Sprint Nextel made a net loss of US$1.6 billion for the second quarter, swollen by the cost of shutting down its Nextel wireless network, but the company is more optimistic about future profitability.
LTE is simultaneously being pushed forward on several fronts, and the result for users will be faster networks, better coverage and the ability to access networks while travelling abroad.
The battle of takeovers among Sprint Nextel, Dish Network, Clearwire and SoftBank has heated up as Clearwire's board recommended shareholders accept Dish's bid instead of Sprint's.
Froyo is coming.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- More than half the world is still offline
- AMD mulls a CPU+GPU super-chip in a server reboot
- This Tinder scam promises to verify your account, but actually sells porn
- EU dual-use tech ban plan could classify smartphones as weapons
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCAsp.Net Developer with Angular, SQL,Twitter Bootstrapper, CSSNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCServiceNow Technical LeadNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCHCMS Program ManagerNSW
- CC.Net Developer Application DesignerACT
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCCommunication LeadVIC