Toshiba in the second quarter of this year will start making flash drives for smartphones and tablets that are substantially faster, smaller and more power-efficient than current NAND flash, the company said on Tuesday.
Toshiba has offered to buy the assets of OCZ Technology, a solid-state drive manufacturer on the verge of bankruptcy.
A new supercomputer being deployed this month in the U.S. is using solid-state drive storage as an alternative to DRAM and hard drives, which could help speed up internal data transfers.
Western Digital’s (WD) flash storage expansion drive has moved through yet another phase, with the storage vendor announcing it has completed its acquisition of Virident Systems for $US685 million.
Solid-state drive adoption will continue to grow and it will be more than 10 years before it is ultimately replaced by a new memory technology, experts said.
3D V-NAND, a new technology for packing more data into flash chips, will dramatically increase the number of PCs and enterprise storage systems that use flash in the next decade, a Samsung Electronics executive said Tuesday.
A new generation of faster, cheaper flash storage is hitting the enterprise market and will be in the spotlight this week at the Flash Memory Summit conference.
Shipments of solid-state drives (SSDs) rocketed in this year's first quarter and the technology is now becoming the storage of choice in thin and light laptops.
Samsung Electronics will offer a range of faster SSD drives for consumers from next month, including a zippy new 1TB drive meant for everyday use.
Boosting its portfolio of solid state storage technologies, EMC is acquiring ScaleIO, a purveyor of storage management software, for an undisclosed amount of cash.
Enterprises are gaining the ability to turn existing storage platforms over to flash even as solid-state media remains mostly a tool for caching and for applications with special requirements.
Western Digital plans to acquire sTec to boost its presence in the market for enterprise solid-state drives.
Hewlett-Packard will extend its 3Par enterprise storage line into flash-only territory this week, promising to combine higher speed with familiar software.
Intel is showing off what it called the "world's fastest thumb drive," which uses Thunderbolt technology to provide breakthrough data transfer speeds compared to flash drives that plug into USB ports.
Many enterprise storage systems include two or more types of hard disk drives, with data automatically moved between those two tiers of storage. The same concept has now been applied to two types of SSDs.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- FBI expansion of surveillance powers meets obstacle
- Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- Tensions rise over LTE using Wi-Fi channels
- Why Dropbox left Amazon's cloud and built its own from scratch
- How to find the cheapest flights
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical Support - ImplementationsVIC
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCTelecommunications Operations Support officerACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Business Analyst - FinanceNSW
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSoftware & Hardware Asset Management - 2 rolesNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- CCSalesforce Project ManagerQLD