Chipset vendors such as Broadcom and STMicroelectronics have launched products that'll make it possible to offer gigabit speeds over fiber as well as over copper and cable networks.
Knocking a drone out of the sky is sometimes possible using an invisible weapon -- sound.
Chip makers like Qualcomm, Nvidia and Samsung Electronics are working on components that will increase processing power, add more memory and increase screen resolution of next-generation smartphones.
Nokia has accused supplier STMicroelectronics of selling microphones Nokia says it developed to rival HTC, and on Monday won an injunction in the Amsterdam District Court preventing their sale.
The mobile chipset market is in a state of flux with a number of key vendors struggling, but analysts say the result of the turmoil will be more advanced high-end smartphones and cheaper low-end devices.
Working with Xsens Technologies, STMicroelectronics is next week demonstrating the world's first wearable wireless 3D body motion-tracking system based on consumer-grade sensors.
ST-Ericsson this week said it would cut up to 500 jobs as part of a cost-savings plan that could help the company reach profitability sooner.
Ericsson and STMicroelectronics have completed a deal announced last year to combine their mobile chip operations.
Ericsson and STMicroelectronics will form a joint venture to build semiconductors and platforms for mobile devices, the companies said Wednesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- FTChange & Communications OfficerQLD
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCTechnical Project Manager, MigrationNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- PTService Desk OperatorSA
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Military jets, subs, bases and networksACT
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia