Chipset vendors such as Broadcom and STMicroelectronics have launched products that'll make it possible to offer gigabit speeds over fiber as well as over copper and cable networks.
Knocking a drone out of the sky is sometimes possible using an invisible weapon -- sound.
Chip makers like Qualcomm, Nvidia and Samsung Electronics are working on components that will increase processing power, add more memory and increase screen resolution of next-generation smartphones.
Nokia has accused supplier STMicroelectronics of selling microphones Nokia says it developed to rival HTC, and on Monday won an injunction in the Amsterdam District Court preventing their sale.
The mobile chipset market is in a state of flux with a number of key vendors struggling, but analysts say the result of the turmoil will be more advanced high-end smartphones and cheaper low-end devices.
Working with Xsens Technologies, STMicroelectronics is next week demonstrating the world's first wearable wireless 3D body motion-tracking system based on consumer-grade sensors.
ST-Ericsson this week said it would cut up to 500 jobs as part of a cost-savings plan that could help the company reach profitability sooner.
Ericsson and STMicroelectronics have completed a deal announced last year to combine their mobile chip operations.
Ericsson and STMicroelectronics will form a joint venture to build semiconductors and platforms for mobile devices, the companies said Wednesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Dyn DDoS attack came from 100,000 infected devices
- These are the 3 big reveals from Microsoft's Surface event
- AI and robots aren't gunning for your job, White House economist says
- DDoS attacks from webcams, routers hit Singapore's StarHub
- Emergency Flash Player patch fixes zero-day critical flaw
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPAgile Coach. Business AgilityNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- CCSolution Architect - BRISBANE BASEDQLD
- TPHelpdesk/Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTSenior Middleware SpecialistNSW
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- CCArcher ConsultantNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Software EngineerQLD
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantNSW
- FTSystems ArchitectACT
- CCWeb Programmer - Sydney - GovernmentNSW
- FTMid to senior Java Software EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Android Developer (6 month contract)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - AgileVIC
- CCSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonNSW
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTSalesforce Subject Matter ExpertNSW
- TPOracle Apex DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW