Chipset vendors such as Broadcom and STMicroelectronics have launched products that'll make it possible to offer gigabit speeds over fiber as well as over copper and cable networks.
Knocking a drone out of the sky is sometimes possible using an invisible weapon -- sound.
Chip makers like Qualcomm, Nvidia and Samsung Electronics are working on components that will increase processing power, add more memory and increase screen resolution of next-generation smartphones.
Nokia has accused supplier STMicroelectronics of selling microphones Nokia says it developed to rival HTC, and on Monday won an injunction in the Amsterdam District Court preventing their sale.
The mobile chipset market is in a state of flux with a number of key vendors struggling, but analysts say the result of the turmoil will be more advanced high-end smartphones and cheaper low-end devices.
Working with Xsens Technologies, STMicroelectronics is next week demonstrating the world's first wearable wireless 3D body motion-tracking system based on consumer-grade sensors.
ST-Ericsson this week said it would cut up to 500 jobs as part of a cost-savings plan that could help the company reach profitability sooner.
Ericsson and STMicroelectronics have completed a deal announced last year to combine their mobile chip operations.
Ericsson and STMicroelectronics will form a joint venture to build semiconductors and platforms for mobile devices, the companies said Wednesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo patches serious flaw in pre-installed support tool
- Qualcomm flaw puts millions of Android devices at risk
- US trade body investigates seven smartphone companies
- Maps of Google and other services could require security clearance in India
- Google, Honeywell resolve patent dispute over Nest thermostats
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCUX Designer and UX ResearcherVIC
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- CCUAT Test AnalystWA
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCProject Coordinator- PRINCE2 & Portal/Website/Digital bckgNSW
- CCSenior Test Analyst (Manual)NSW
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- CCFront end web developer - JUNE / JULY STARTACT
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Portfolio Services ManagementNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW