A new variant of the Storm worm has emerged, but it does not appear to be as well-designed as its older relative, according to computer security researchers.
Spam trumpeting the power of love is nothing more than an old trick dressed up in new clothes, more evidence that the backers of the Waledec bot Trojan are the same bunch that hammered users last year with Storm, security companies are warning.
One of the most notorious networks of hacked computers used for sending spam could be generating as much as US$3.5 million per year peddling drugs such as Viagra, according to new research.
The command and control centres behind the infamous Storm botnet have been eradicated or abandoned, leaving the former tempest a mere gust.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 2 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 3 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 4 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 5 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- BMW teams up with Intel, Mobileye to make a self-driving car by 2021
- Scrutiny of Google's tax liabilities intensifies with Spanish raid
- Should Netflix refund its geoblocked customers for their inconvenience?
- Innovation: Not with a boom but a whisper
- HPE has won US$3 billion in a lawsuit against Oracle
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCSr Java Developer-JSP/Servlet,Hibernate, EJB3, Spring, RESTfulNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin) 160617/P/564Asia
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCEngineering Lead - InfrastructureVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- FTTechnical COE SpecialistACT
- CCOracle Administrators with SiebelACT
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCSenior Project Delivery ManagerACT
- FTIT Support Analyst (Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS ASP.NET/SQL) 160714/AP/265Asia
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT