The two server rivals are reportedly in acquisition talks. A deal may be good for them, but it raises questions for Sun shops.
The founder of the popular Spring Framework for Java, Rod Johnson, said Thursday he does not anticipate much impact if a possible acquisition of Java founder Sun by Java advocate IBM comes to fruition.
A union between IBM and Sun Microsystems would give Microsoft a competitive advantage during the time IBM worked to incorporate Sun's copious assets into a combined company, Microsoft's Steve Ballmer said Thursday.
Amid rumours of Sun Microsystems being snapped up by IBM, the company has announced a whopping $30 million deal with Australia's Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) to build one of the largest high-performance computing environments in the southern hemispher...
With industry giants IBM and Sun Microsystems reportedly in merger talks, techies the world over rushed to their keyboards and mobile devices to Twitter about the possibilities.
The high-tech rumor mill churned at high speed Wednesday as industry watchers debated the good, the bad and the ugly about a potential pairing of IBM and Sun, if Big Blue does indeed acquire its long-time rival.
IBM's reported interest in buying Sun Microsystems has Java and open-source community members expressing both hopes and worries about the implications of such a deal on the tools, applications and open-source projects they use every day.
IBM is in talks to buy Sun Microsystems for as much as US$6.5 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.
Sun Microsystems is making a fresh push into the cloud services market, starting with hosted computing and storage services that it will offer to developers later this year.
Sun's systems design approach to SSD integration across software, systems and storage will give users up to 70 percent faster response times and up to 98 percent less power consumption than traditional spinning hard disk drives, the company said.
Sun has laid out more of its plans for using solid-state drives in its servers, which it says will help customers to reduce energy costs and improve application performance in the data center.
Hewlett-Packard and Sun Microsystems -- fierce competitors when it comes to hardware sales -- unveiled an expanded partnership on Wednesday that will see HP become a key distributor of Sun's Solaris 10 operating system.
Sun announced Tuesday that it is throwing its hat into the standards arena, proposing that its open-source key management API be used as a universal way to allow encrypting devices to communicate with key management systems.
Sun will roll out on Tuesday a primarily open-source Web application platform based on the GlassFish Java application server.
Sun Microsystems plans to detail on March 18 its grand entrance into the cloud computing space, Sun officials said Tuesday morning.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCField Engineer - POSTAS
- FTSAS Support SpecialistNSW
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCSenior ICT Project Manager - Extensive Government experienceNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCOracle Identity and Access Management Specialist-11Gr2 productsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160810/AP/662Asia
- CCAssociate Engineer (Communications Engineering)Asia
- CCNetwork Designer/ConsultantVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCPeopleSoft Consultant (Financial)NSW
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT