Oracle appeared to confirm this week what many in the computer industry already suspected: The OpenSolaris project is dead.
Oracle has started up work again on a large data centre in the Salt Lake City, Utah, area, after suspending the project without public explanation last year.
James Gosling, the creator of the Java programming language, has resigned from Oracle, he announced in a blog entry on Friday
Oracle's plan to merge the Sun HotSpot Java Virtual Machine with the JRockit JVM is still evolving, but a single JVM based on both technologies is expected in 18 months to two years, an Oracle official said during a Webcast this week.
Oracle plans to broaden its range of virtualization offerings, thanks to a number of applications obtained in the Sun Microsystems acquisition, said Oracle chief architect Edward Screven.
Would the Java community thrive as well under Oracle's control as it did under Sun Microsystems'? Vendors of Java products seem split about the question.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Lavabit developer has a new encrypted, end-to-end email protocol
- Apple sues Qualcomm over patent licensing and $1B in payments
- New details emerge about Intel's super-small Euclid computer for robots
- Microsoft will soon end Office 2013 distribution through Office 365
- Researchers propose a way to use your heartbeat as a password
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTSecurity System EngineerSA
- CCSenior IT Digital BA/Project ManagerVIC
- FTWeb Front- End DeveloperSA
- FTTechnical Account ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Front End Web DeveloperNSW
- CCEnterprise Solution Architect - Customer Experience PlatformsNSW
- CCSenior Engineer - Finance PackagesQLD
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD
- TPTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork Design EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystSA
- FT.NET CMS DeveloperWA
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTRegional Sales Manager - Telco/ICT - Employer of choiceQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- TPProject Manager - eDRMSQLD
- CCProcess Specialist - short contract, asap start!VIC
- CCIT Risk Specialist (Assurance) - TelcoVIC
- FTTechnical Content CoordinatorVIC
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- TPSenior Test Analyst - TAFEQLD
- CCCapacity and Performance Analyst - Mainframe - Z SystemsVIC
- FTMid Level Infrastructure Project ManagerVIC