Oracle appeared to confirm this week what many in the computer industry already suspected: The OpenSolaris project is dead.
Oracle has started up work again on a large data centre in the Salt Lake City, Utah, area, after suspending the project without public explanation last year.
James Gosling, the creator of the Java programming language, has resigned from Oracle, he announced in a blog entry on Friday
Oracle's plan to merge the Sun HotSpot Java Virtual Machine with the JRockit JVM is still evolving, but a single JVM based on both technologies is expected in 18 months to two years, an Oracle official said during a Webcast this week.
Oracle plans to broaden its range of virtualization offerings, thanks to a number of applications obtained in the Sun Microsystems acquisition, said Oracle chief architect Edward Screven.
Oracle will pare back Sun Microsystems' server lines and move to a build-to-order model to cut costs and get the hardware company back to profitability, Oracle executives said on Wednesday.
The European Commission granted Oracle an unconditional approval to take over Sun Microsystems on Thursday, following a controversial and drawn out examination of the deal.The deal still awaits approval in other jurisdictions, including Russia and Ch...
With the European Commission seen as virtually certain to approve Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems in just a week, those campaigning to prevent the deal encompassing Sun's MySQL database unit have shifted their efforts to regulators in Russia...
Sun and Fujitsu upgraded their Sparc Enterprise M3000 server, equipping it with newer hardware to deliver faster performance, the companies said on Tuesday.
Sun Microsystems officials introduced on Thursday Sun's upgrades to three Java-based technologies, including the company's latest implementation of enterprise Java. But they were silent on the elephant in the room: How the company's efforts might be ...
Sun Microsystems, which has been pretty much silent in recent months while awaiting its merger with Oracle, will open up on Thursday about the latest developments in its Java technologies.
Usage of the open-source MySQL database is set to decline if Oracle succeeds in buying the software's owner, Sun Microsystems, according to new data released by analyst firm The 451 Group on Friday.
Fifty-nine U.S. senators have asked European antitrust regulators to speed up their investigation into Oracle's planned acquisition of Sun Microsystems, due to Sun's "deteriorating financial condition."
Oracle and Sun Microsystems have been granted an extra week to defend their planned US$7 billion merger in front of European regulators, the European Commission said Friday.
The European Commission on Monday issued its formal "statement of objections" over Oracle's planned acquisition of Sun Microsystems, saying the deal would harm competition in the database market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- CCFront End Developer - MelbourneVIC
- FTLead Software Developer- Complex Tax & Superannuation SolutionsNSW
- CCIBM InfoSphere ConsultantACT
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- FTManager, Portfolio GovernanceNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCBusiness Process Analyst - Supply ChainVIC
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCProject Manager, Network, FinanceNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS.Net/Visual Basic) 160129/AP/vtdAsia