How technology is bringing out the best and the oh-so utterly worst in solar innovation
From Java to SPARC, critical Sun technologies have lived on, been cut loose, or lost their luster in the four years since the Oracle acquisition
These tech giants had a valuable market locked down. Then they screwed up.
Later this year, Oracle will begin requiring people interested in gaining Java and Solaris certifications to attend "hands-on" training courses, at an additional cost of thousands of dollars.
Oracle's recent move to switch Sun Microsystems documentation to Oracle support infrastructure has some users up in arms, since the original links currently redirect to a general table of contents.
Just five days after a Google researcher published information of an unpatched Java bug, a compromised song lyrics site is sending users to a Russian attack server exploiting the flaw to install malware, an antivirus firm said today.
Oracle has moved Solaris onto its quarterly security patch schedule, meaning users of the Sun Microsystems operating system will now know months in advance when they will be getting security updates.
Recession has made companies more cost-sensitive and this has increased the popularity of solutions from HP, according to two separate research reports by Gabriel Consulting Group and Alinean Inc.
Orthodox server designs are receiving a face-lift with Intel's Nehalem-EX processor, with vendors implementing new memory features to boost application performance.
Don't expect Jonathan Schwartz to go quietly.
Jonathan Schwartz announced his resignation as CEO of Sun Microsystems in a message sent via Twitter early Thursday.
In the wake of its merger with Sun Microsystems, Oracle is discontinuing access to Project Kenai, which was developed by Sun as an open source project-hosting site.
Oracle is dropping support for Sun Microsystems' Project Wonderland, a Java-based platform for developing 3-D virtual worlds, according to a Jan. 30 post on the project's official blog.
Small business has reason the cheer Oracle's acquisition of Sun, now that it appears OpenOffice.org and MySQL look to do well--perhaps better--under new ownership.
Oracle on Wednesday tried to answer the question that has vexed much of the technology industry since it announce its acquisition of Sun Microsystems last April: How will Oracle make the ailing systems and software vendor a profitable part of its bus...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New Microsoft beta lets workers build their own apps without coding
- Intel is on the verge of exiting the smartphone and tablet markets after cutting Atom chips
- 5 (more) reasons to be a data scientist
- FCC wireless auction hits spectrum target, paving way for fast, reliable 5G
- IBM offers advice on how to secure blockchain in the cloud
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCCommVault Backp EngineerNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCService DeskWA
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW