They were flat. Many had pens or touchscreens. And most of them died. Swipe back in time to see how tablets have evolved to the Surface, iPad, and Android slates we use today.
A firmware update for Microsoft's Surface Pro 2 appears to have drastically improved battery life, addressing one of the beefy tablet's biggest weak points.
Microsoft has erected a gigantic Surface in London's Trafalgar Square, with a roughly 383-inch display. Visitors can walk up to the oversized Surface and stomp on the attached jumbo keyboard to interact with apps.
Microsoft says the decision to drop the 'RT' branding from its second generation Surface tablet was a move made to address consumer confusion between the scaled down, tablet-optimised operating system and its regular Windows 8.1 OS.
Microsoft’s 2nd generation products mean more responsive devices and more time unplugged.
Don't let all the talk about service synergies and sales teams fool you: Microsoft gobbled up Nokia to ensure Windows Phone's ongoing survival and bolster the "devices" portion of its newly refocused "devices and services" business.
The Acer Iconia W3 flips Windows computing on its head, rotating the screen into an 8.1-inch, easy-to-hold, portrait form factor. This may seem like a trivial improvement, but it's more significant than you might think.
Bloomberg says that Qualcomm's new Snapdragon 800 chip will power "some new versions" of Microsoft's Surface RT tablet. Even so, beefed-up processors alone won't cure what ails Windows RT.
Microsoft announced that Outlook 2013 RT will be coming to Windows RT, along with the Windows 8.1 update. Sales of Windows RT tablets like the Surface RT have been underwhelming thus far, but Outlook will change that.
For the moment, Microsoft has stopped charging extra for an essential piece of the Surface RT experience.
Microsoft is super-sizing the storage on its Surface Pro tablet. There's a big catch with this upgrade, however: The newly expanded gigs (and a handful of other nifty extras) are only available in Japan--at least for now.
In a blog post yesterday, Microsoft confirmed the availability of the Surface Pro in Australia. The long-awaited Windows 8 tablet will be ready for purchase locally from Thursday 30 May, either from the Microsoft Store or from retailers Harvey Norman...
Although Microsoft is staying mum about Windows 8 tablet sales, research firm Strategy Analytics has some slightly encouraging news.
Rumors continue to swirl around Microsoft's potential plans for a 7-inch Surface tablet, as smaller, less-expensive slates gobble up an ever-increasing slice of the market.
The third time might be the charm for Microsoft, which just released a third update in as many months meant to fix Wi-Fi connectivity issues plaguing the Surface RT tablet.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Join the PC World newsletter!
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google tells its publisher partners to comply with EU cookie directive
- Xen patches new virtual-machine escape vulnerability
- The Upload: Your tech news briefing for Tuesday, July 28
- OnePlus refines its successful formula with new phone
- Brinks safe can be hacked with just a USB stick
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW