IBM and Fujifilm have figured out how to fit 220TB of data on a standard-size tape that fits in your hand, flexing the technology's strengths as a long-term storage medium.
Anticipating a storage crunch spurred by big data, IBM and Fujifilm are advancing the state of art in magnetic tape with a prototype capable of storing 85.9 billion bits of data per square inch.
Sony has developed a magnetic tape material that can store data at 148 gigabits per square inch, roughly 74 times the density of standard tapes.
An appliance designed for Web 2.0 companies may take them back to the future with tape storage.
Oracle is taking aim at the fast-growing storage demands of large enterprises with the latest version of its high-end tape drive, which will be able to pack 5TB of uncompressed data onto a tape cartridge.
Tape is not dead - far from it. In fact, many enterprises depend on it for cost-effective long-term storage. Tape is also finding new applications in the virtualized and increasingly video-centric world of IT. As enterprises deal with bigger sets of ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- IBM just found a way to turn toxic old smartphones into medical-grade plastic
- Microsoft Sway gets its first paid features
- Thousands of hacked CCTV devices used in DDoS attacks
- Cloud consortium says simpler EU electronic signature rules aren't simple enough
- Lightning strikes Outlook in latest Salesforce-Microsoft integration
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- CCJunior PM/ConsultantACT
- CCTelecommunications Operations Support officerACT
- CCProject Analyst/ CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior Developer - AWS Cloud HSMNSW
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- FTEnterprise Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA / SQL) 160621/JP/224Asia
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW