Telecom carriers must get permission from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to replace their copper networks with Internet Protocol-based systems if the change will result in discontinued or reduced voice services for customers.
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission may require the country's telecom carriers to warn residential and business customers about their plans to abandon old, copper telephone networks for IP-based systems.
The U.S. Congress should kill the section of the Patriot Act that has allowed the National Security Agency to collect millions of phone records from the nation's residents, instead of trying to amend it, a civil liberties advocate said Friday.
The next time you call customer service, you may get an answer from a Chromebook.
Wi-Fi may carry many voice calls within the next few years, but the technology required to make those calls is still young in some ways.
Network operator British Telecom is hoping to increase the popularity of its audioconferencing service by extending a high-quality audio feature to users of Web-based conferencing clients.
These days, making a call across the U.S. is so easy that people often don't even know they're talking coast to coast. But 100 years ago Sunday, it took a hackathon, a new technology and an international exposition to make it happen.
A controversial U.S. Federal Communications Commission program that subsidizes telephone or mobile service for poor people needs to move into the 21st century by expanding into broadband, a broadband advocacy group said.
ShoreTel has rejected both Mitel Networks' first and a subsequent higher bid, declaring it "significantly undervalued" the company.
Microsoft has decided to stop routing Skype Internet calls from within India to local landlines and mobile phones, in a move that may signal it is giving in to local regulations.
Google may be among the hopefuls vying to turn the New York City phone booths of the past into "communication points" of the future with free Wi-Fi and cellphone charging.
T-Mobile USA has rolled out voice over LTE in its home base of Seattle, offering high-definition voice and promising benefits to subscribers from a technology that in time could save carriers a lot of money.
The transition from copper-based telephone systems to IP networks in the U.S. could become swept up in political fallout as the FCC figures out how to regulate such networks in ways that will appease the courts.
A federal jury in New Jersey has handed a setback to Avaya, ruling that it illegally tried to quash competition for service on its enterprise communications equipment.
At around €2,000 (US$2800) each, the secure smartphones that SecuSmart showed at Cebit last year were out of reach of many businesses -- although three governments have since bought them to secure mobile phone calls between senior officials, accordin...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple hires mobile encryption pioneer amid encryption debate
- HPE is spinning out its huge services business and merging it with CSC
- Tech woes hamper jury in Oracle case aginst Google
- Cisco's Meraki spreads its cloud to voice
- Datameer gets an overhaul to make big-data analytics easier
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCPEGA Developer / ConfigurerACT
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Marketing SystemsNSW
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- CCProject Manager - HFCVIC
- CCFull Stack Developer - AngularNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCProject/ Change ManagerQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCIT Systems AnalystACT
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- CCRelease Manager, SAPNSW
- FTMid-Level Full-Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCSAP Project ManagersNSW
- FT.NET Developer (Angular JS/ SQL)WA
- FTSOA Tech LeadNSW