Users can now place free video calls with Messenger, as Facebook continues to extend the app beyond simple text-based chats.
Facebook wants to mesh its massive social network with phone communications so that it can provide its members with useful information about people at the other end of the line.
Google and SpaceX could be joining forces to beam the Internet from the sky after Google and Fidelity Investments together invested US$1 billion in Elon Musk's space venture.
Kim Dotcom, founder of the file hosting service Mega, is preparing to launch an encrypted video-calling and chat service that will shield its users' communications from government surveillance.
Microsoft's upcoming Skype for Web service will use the new WebRTC standard so it works in all modern browsers -- but not right away: Early users will have to download a plugin that's only available on Mac and Windows.
Microsoft has decided to stop routing Skype Internet calls from within India to local landlines and mobile phones, in a move that may signal it is giving in to local regulations.
Ericsson is resurrecting its WebRTC-based browser, Bowser, to help spark the development of more websites and apps that embrace voice, video and messaging features.
A special version of Skype designed for professional TV broadcasts reached another milestone with its release to manufacturers and the signing of three hardware partners.
Viber has updated its apps for Android and iOS to let users make video calls.
Google Glass is now available to any adult living in the U.K., as the company eyes international expansion of its head mounted computer system.
You'd be forgiven for thinking Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos wants to compete with other phone makers with his company's new Fire smartphone. But forget the multiple cameras and pretty 3-D-like effects, the device is really about selling more stuff.
Microsoft promises that a revamped Skype app for the iPhone will be significantly better than the current version, although it may be too late for users who have long since switched to other options.
Unify, a joint venture between Siemens and the Gores Group, will cut 50 per cent of its staff and refocus its product roster away from hardware, following a shift in the overall unified communications market toward software and Cloud services.
Sales of video conferencing and telepresence hardware systems are declining, hurt by an increase in cloud and software-based options that often are cheaper and simpler to deploy, according to an IDC study.
Aiming to connect more people speaking different languages, Microsoft plans to roll out a beta version of its speech-translation technology on Skype later this year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- This startup uses machine learning to turn your old enterprise apps into mobile ones
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives
- How Intel knocked itself out of the smartphone chip market
- Google Slides makes it easier to talk back to presenters
- Google turns on HTTPS for all blogspot blogs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- FTGeneral Manager: Applications DevelopmentVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCService Desk OperatorACT
- FTSoftware (.Net) DeveloperACT
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW