When it comes to speeding up Web traffic over the Internet, sometimes too much of a good thing may not be such a good thing at all.
Facebook's head of network operations has great expectations for software defined networking (SDN), though he may not be relying on commercial hardware vendors to bring SDN to the social networking giant's own infrastructure.
At the kick-off of its annual VMworld user conference, being held this week in San Francisco, VMware will fill in more layers of its software stack for running its envisioned software defined data center (SDDC).
With more than a billion monthly active users, it's easy to imagine that most of the data travelling over Facebook's networks is delivering photos, status updates and "likes" to its end users, but that's far from the case.
WAN optimization vendor Silver Peak last week announced a service that it proclaims speeds data transfers into Amazon's cloud by 100 times compared to not using Silver Peak's deduplication system.
Major Websites are to test Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) by participating in World IPv6 Day, scheduled for June 8. Google, Facebook, and Yahoo, among others, have agreed to ensure that IPv6 entrances to their sites will be available, along wi...
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Qualcomm's new chip may be too late as ARM server market fades
- Democrats unveil bill to probe Russia's role in alleged election hacks
- Halo 5: Forge's multiplayer is now more accessible on PC with a new custom game browser
- Amazon replaces cashiers with AI and computer learning
- Ubisoft's 30th anniversary putters across the finish line with free copies of Assassin's Creed III
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- CCTesting and Support Services ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce Solutions Architect/DeveloperNSW
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- CCCapacity and Performance AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Engineer - Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCFacilities Coordinator/ Data Centre Coordinator- Multiple RolesVIC
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical AnalystACT
- CCService Management Analyst (Part-Time)NSW
- CCService Desk OfficerSA
- CCIngres DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Back-end Developer/Database DesignerSA
- CCData Quality AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Solution Designer/Architect - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCLotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst | HealthQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTFinancial AnalystNSW
- FTAngular DeveloperSA
- CCPMO CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Windows Automation Specialist (Integration)VIC
- FTIndustry Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCSecurity Administrator - CheckpointVIC