The Uptime Institute is updating the way it certifies data centers in a move to help ensure that cloud computing customers get the level of service they think they're paying for.
How reliable is your data center service provider? Perhaps not as reliable as you think.
Ken Brill, founder of the Uptime Institute and a forward thinker in data center design and operations, died this week at the age of 68, the Institute said on Thursday. The cause was cancer, a spokesman said.
Google I/O is getting most of the attention this week, but a conference at the other end of Silicon Valley showed there's plenty of innovation happening in the word of data centers, too.
A new survey from the Uptime Institute suggests fatigue is setting in when it comes to making data centers greener, and it may be partly due to overachievers like Google and Microsoft.
The Uptime Institute has launched its first Server Roundup Contest to encourage data center operators to retire obsolete servers and reduce their energy consumption.
More large companies are turning to collocation providers to relieve capacity constraints in their data centers, as a way to avoid the high cost of building their own new brick-and-mortar facilities, two studies suggest.
Julian Kudritzki has more visibility than most into how the Uptime Institute's data center tier system is being used around the world, and according to him it's become a useful tool to help businesses find a reliable hosting provider for their applic...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Prysm combines displays with SaaS to extend the reach of enterprise collaboration
- Forget Trump and Clinton: IBM's Watson is running for president
- 5G might be your next home broadband service
- Cybercriminals adopt spies' techniques to pull off online bank heists
- Watch hundreds of robots and drones in an amazing choreographed dance
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCWintel Engineer with Sharepoint 2010 / 2013NSW
- CCPortfolio-Program SchedulerNSW
- FTIT Technical LeadVIC
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk, Service Support- Remedy or SAP backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Systems Analyst (Biomedical)SA
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD