The Uptime Institute is updating the way it certifies data centers in a move to help ensure that cloud computing customers get the level of service they think they're paying for.
How reliable is your data center service provider? Perhaps not as reliable as you think.
Ken Brill, founder of the Uptime Institute and a forward thinker in data center design and operations, died this week at the age of 68, the Institute said on Thursday. The cause was cancer, a spokesman said.
Google I/O is getting most of the attention this week, but a conference at the other end of Silicon Valley showed there's plenty of innovation happening in the word of data centers, too.
A new survey from the Uptime Institute suggests fatigue is setting in when it comes to making data centers greener, and it may be partly due to overachievers like Google and Microsoft.
The Uptime Institute has launched its first Server Roundup Contest to encourage data center operators to retire obsolete servers and reduce their energy consumption.
More large companies are turning to collocation providers to relieve capacity constraints in their data centers, as a way to avoid the high cost of building their own new brick-and-mortar facilities, two studies suggest.
Julian Kudritzki has more visibility than most into how the Uptime Institute's data center tier system is being used around the world, and according to him it's become a useful tool to help businesses find a reliable hosting provider for their applic...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Twitter said to plan 300 more job cuts this week
- Lyft customers face potential hack from recycled phone numbers
- For cordless VR and more, WiGig may be worth the wait
- Physical RAM attack can root Android and possibly other devices
- Chinese firm recalls camera products linked to massive DDOS attack
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Consultant Commercial PricingVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCPerformance AnalystNSW
- CCSAP GRC consultant with ABAP experience . Canberra LocationNSW
- CCSAS DI DeveloperNSW
- FTSoftware Development ManagerNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- CCData ScientistVIC
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTProject ManagerSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/Web) 161014/SA/922Asia
- CCSAP FunctionalistACT
- CCInformation Security Consultant - RSA ArcherNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTSoftware Developers - .Net 4.6NSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- CCICT Project Reporting Planning CoordinatorNSW
- CCIT Senior Systems Administrator- Server Patching RemediationNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - SchedulingVIC
- FTSoftware Developers | .Net 4.6 | Multiple RolesNSW