A U.S. appeals court should immediately shut down the National Security Agency's bulk collection of domestic telephone records because the practice is illegal, the American Civil Liberties Union said.
U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court
A U.S. surveillance court has extended a controversial telephone records dragnet while the National Security Agency works to wind down the program on orders from Congress.
The U.S. Department of Justice has filed to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court for permission to continue the bulk collection of call records for another six months, as the new USA Freedom Act allows for this transition period.
After the U.S. Congress approved what critics have called modest limits on the National Security Agency's collection of domestic telephone records, many lawmakers may be reluctant to further change the government's surveillance programs.
The U.S. National Security Agency is reportedly intercepting Internet communications from U.S. residents without getting court-ordered warrants, in an effort to hunt down malicious hackers.
After six months of contentious debate over U.S. National Security Agency surveillance programs, prompted by leaks from former government contractor Edward Snowden, the third week in December may have marked a major turning point.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Modular cellphone kit can be used for IoT and wearables
- Now that AI has mastered 'Go,' are all our jobs next?
- Make a $40 Linux or Android PC with new Raspberry Pi 2 rival
- Researcher finds serious flaw in Chromium-based Avast SafeZone browser
- Dridex banking malware mysteriously hijacked to distribute antivirus program
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- FTPrincipal Business Analyst (SQL/SAS)NSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java, Oracle ADF) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCProgram Support ManagerQLD
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCMultiple Java rolesACT