The right to unlock your cellphone became law on Friday as President Barack Obama signed a bill that rapidly passed both houses of the U.S. Congress.
U.S. Library of Congress
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow mobile phone users to unlock their devices and switch carriers, overriding a 2013 decision by the Library of Congress to make the practice illegal.
Some former supporters of a mobile phone unlocking bill in the U.S. Congress have withdrawn their support for the legislation because of a new provision added to it as it heads to the House of Representatives floor for a vote.
Momentum is growing in the U.S. Congress to overturn a U.S. Library of Congress ruling that took mobile phone unlocking out of the legal exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
The author of a successful White House petition calling on government officials to legalize the unlocking of mobile phones has turned his attention to broader reform of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's new Zo chatbot dodges politics, doesn't always make sense
- Privacy groups urge investigation of 'internet of toys'
- Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft and YouTube will share terror content info
- AT&T means business with a 5G trial at Intel
- How to password protect a PDF before sending it by email
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior UX/UI Designer (Mobile)NSW
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst/Salesforce Developer APEXNSW
- CCSystems Analyst - Web Services.VIC
- CCTest Lead : Perth BasedACT
- CCSenior Automation TesterSA
- CCService Desk Tier 3 EngineerQLD
- CCVideo Conferencing - PABX , Cisco, Polycom and Nortel/AvaNSW
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior PMO Coordinator, FinanceWA
- CCData Scientist (Big Data)VIC
- CCWindows Systems Engineer - AD, VMware, RedHat experienceNSW
- CCAutoCAD Business System Analyst/ GIS, Spatial AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - SQLNSW
- CCInformation Security ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Reporting, Excel and AutoCAD experienceNSW
- FTHelp Desk Support Engineer - Finance/TradingNSW
- CCBusiness and Reporting AnalystWA
- CCSenior Network ConsultantVIC
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCProject Manager (Network Roll-Out)NSW
- CCProject Manager - ProcurementNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystQLD
- TPMicrosoft BI DeveloperWA