The right to unlock your cellphone became law on Friday as President Barack Obama signed a bill that rapidly passed both houses of the U.S. Congress.
U.S. Library of Congress
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow mobile phone users to unlock their devices and switch carriers, overriding a 2013 decision by the Library of Congress to make the practice illegal.
Some former supporters of a mobile phone unlocking bill in the U.S. Congress have withdrawn their support for the legislation because of a new provision added to it as it heads to the House of Representatives floor for a vote.
Momentum is growing in the U.S. Congress to overturn a U.S. Library of Congress ruling that took mobile phone unlocking out of the legal exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
The author of a successful White House petition calling on government officials to legalize the unlocking of mobile phones has turned his attention to broader reform of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft’s standing to sue over secret US data requests in question
- Microsoft kills Cache, its note-taking experiment with Evernote-Google Keep aspirations
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15014 officially adds ebook support
- Data shows Tesla vehicle crashes dropped 40% with Autopilot
- Inside Intel's bold plan to personalize live 3D sports broadcasts
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst Digital/ Web projectsVIC
- CCMultiple Infrastructure ArchitectsWA
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst-DevOpsNSW
- FTNational Manager of Security - We are looking for a strong Leader - Syd CBDNSW
- FTIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTBI Tech Lead l Informatica ETL , Microstrategy, Big Data TechnologiesNSW
- CCDevops EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkSA
- CCSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- TPJava DeveloperSA
- CCTest Automation ArchitectQLD
- TPTechnical Solutions Architect-Dynamics CRMVIC
- CCJava Developer/ Guidewire DevelopersQLD
- FTSAP Business Objects ConsultantACT
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- FTBI Tech Lead l SQL/RDMS/ DB2/ ETL/ UML/ XML/ Big Data technologiesNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTSenior Front End Web DeveloperNSW