The right to unlock your cellphone became law on Friday as President Barack Obama signed a bill that rapidly passed both houses of the U.S. Congress.
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow mobile phone users to unlock their devices and switch carriers, overriding a 2013 decision by the Library of Congress to make the practice illegal.
Some former supporters of a mobile phone unlocking bill in the U.S. Congress have withdrawn their support for the legislation because of a new provision added to it as it heads to the House of Representatives floor for a vote.
Momentum is growing in the U.S. Congress to overturn a U.S. Library of Congress ruling that took mobile phone unlocking out of the legal exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
The author of a successful White House petition calling on government officials to legalize the unlocking of mobile phones has turned his attention to broader reform of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
U.S. President Barack Obama's administration has sided with more than 100,000 petition signers who asked the government to legalize the unlocking of smartphones.
More than 85,000 people have signed a Whitehouse.gov petition asking U.S. President Barack Obama to reverse a decision by the Library of Congress making the unlocking of mobile phones illegal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
The U.S. Library of Congress is now storing 500 million tweets per day as part of its efforts to build a Twitter archive, and has added a total of about 170 billion tweets to its collection.
Modifying Apple's iPhone software to install applications not approved by Apple will still be legal under new exemptions to take effect on Sunday in the U.S., but illegal for an iPad and other tablets.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProgram Business Change Director - HR PayrollNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerVIC
- CCChange or Project Manager- Electrical Network EngineeringNSW
- FTFront End Developer - Team LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Development AnalystVIC
- CCSenior PMO Coordinator, FinanceNSW
- CCProduct Manager - Life Insurance (Fixed-Term)NSW
- CCSenior Windows Automation Specialist (Integration)VIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkACT
- CCSAP CRM Technical LeadACT
- CCProject Finance Analyst (Contract)VIC
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- FTEngineering ManagerACT
- CCSAP HR & Payroll Project ManagerACT
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- TPHRIS Project Delivery ManagerQLD
- TPProjects Planning ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Change ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Performance Test AnalystQLD
- CCDigital Producer | 3 Month Contract roleNSW
- CCService Management Analyst (Part-Time)NSW
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTTSM SpecialistNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperOther