Government-funded broadband projects have led to higher speeds and lower prices for U.S. small businesses, despite opposition from some in Congress, according to an auditor's report.
U.S. Rural Utilities Service
Rural telecom and broadband providers in the U.S. face big challenges in connecting their most remote customers, as the U.S. Federal Communications Commission transitions away from old telephone subsidies, a group of providers told lawmakers.
Some Republican lawmakers on Wednesday accused two U.S. agencies of wasting hundreds of millions of dollars in broadband stimulus money on failed projects, but supporters of the broadband spending questioned the Republican numbers.
Three large broadband projects funded recently by the U.S. Rural Utilities Service (RUS) largely cover areas already served by broadband providers, according to a study released Wednesday by a trade group representing cable broadband providers.
A U.S. Congress subcommittee has approved a bill requiring two government agencies to return any unused money from broadband deployment programs that were part of a huge 2009 economic stimulus package.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- US transport agency guidance on vehicle cybersecurity irks lawmakers
- Twitter said to plan 300 more job cuts this week
- Lyft customers face potential hack from recycled phone numbers
- For cordless VR and more, WiGig may be worth the wait
- Nissan, Renault tout plans to make 10 autonomous vehicles by 2020
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Business Analyst x 2QLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - 12 month contract, ASAP startVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Mid/Junior levelVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCProject SchedulerSA
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- TPSenior IT Project CoordinatorQLD
- CCSiebel Technical Integration SpecialistACT
- FTBiomedical Project ManagerQLD
- FTSolution Architect with end user computing (EUC) experienceNSW
- FTStorage SpecialistNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW
- TPDesktop Support EngineerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Health Industry - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTIT Systems ManagerNSW
- CCSolutions Architect (Data Warehouse/Application Integration) - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- CCNetwork AdministratorVIC
- FTFront End Developer / UXNSW