Government-funded broadband projects have led to higher speeds and lower prices for U.S. small businesses, despite opposition from some in Congress, according to an auditor's report.
Rural telecom and broadband providers in the U.S. face big challenges in connecting their most remote customers, as the U.S. Federal Communications Commission transitions away from old telephone subsidies, a group of providers told lawmakers.
Some Republican lawmakers on Wednesday accused two U.S. agencies of wasting hundreds of millions of dollars in broadband stimulus money on failed projects, but supporters of the broadband spending questioned the Republican numbers.
Three large broadband projects funded recently by the U.S. Rural Utilities Service (RUS) largely cover areas already served by broadband providers, according to a study released Wednesday by a trade group representing cable broadband providers.
A U.S. Congress subcommittee has approved a bill requiring two government agencies to return any unused money from broadband deployment programs that were part of a huge 2009 economic stimulus package.
Large swaths of the western and southern U.S. do not have access to wired or fixed wireless broadband, according to a new national broadband map released by two U.S. agencies Thursday.
Two government agencies handing out more than US$7 billion for broadband deployment should reexamine grants to projects that overlap existing broadband service, and they should return any funds that go unspent, several Republican members of the U.S. ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- More than half the world is still offline
- AMD mulls a CPU+GPU super-chip in a server reboot
- This Tinder scam promises to verify your account, but actually sells porn
- EU dual-use tech ban plan could classify smartphones as weapons
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- FTChange and Release ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- FTSoftware Tester | Innovation | Business FacingNSW
- CCCisco CCIE Certified Network EngineerWA
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- CCService Management Specialist / ITILNSW
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCIT Business Analyst- Infrastructure, BABOK- Government BackgrndNSW
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- FTAppian DeveloperVIC
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Process AnalystNSW
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance ConsultantNSW
- CCIncident ManagerSA
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCVendor ManagerVIC