Government-funded broadband projects have led to higher speeds and lower prices for U.S. small businesses, despite opposition from some in Congress, according to an auditor's report.
Rural telecom and broadband providers in the U.S. face big challenges in connecting their most remote customers, as the U.S. Federal Communications Commission transitions away from old telephone subsidies, a group of providers told lawmakers.
Some Republican lawmakers on Wednesday accused two U.S. agencies of wasting hundreds of millions of dollars in broadband stimulus money on failed projects, but supporters of the broadband spending questioned the Republican numbers.
Three large broadband projects funded recently by the U.S. Rural Utilities Service (RUS) largely cover areas already served by broadband providers, according to a study released Wednesday by a trade group representing cable broadband providers.
A U.S. Congress subcommittee has approved a bill requiring two government agencies to return any unused money from broadband deployment programs that were part of a huge 2009 economic stimulus package.
Large swaths of the western and southern U.S. do not have access to wired or fixed wireless broadband, according to a new national broadband map released by two U.S. agencies Thursday.
Two government agencies handing out more than US$7 billion for broadband deployment should reexamine grants to projects that overlap existing broadband service, and they should return any funds that go unspent, several Republican members of the U.S. ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Shared malware code links SWIFT-related breaches at banks and North Korean hackers
- Senate proposal to require encryption workarounds may be dead
- Acer's Windows 10 Switch hybrids priced to battle Chromebooks
- Seagate 8TB NAS drive: Review
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCNV1 Consultant | Groundbreaking Defence decision support applicationACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCRelease Manager, SAPNSW
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTInfrastructure Specialist - Sec Ops Network & OSAsia
- FTImplementation / Deployment Specialist- Web Sphere, ESB, IIBNSW
- CCMessaging Engineer - BAU SupportNSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT