Government-funded broadband projects have led to higher speeds and lower prices for U.S. small businesses, despite opposition from some in Congress, according to an auditor's report.
Rural telecom and broadband providers in the U.S. face big challenges in connecting their most remote customers, as the U.S. Federal Communications Commission transitions away from old telephone subsidies, a group of providers told lawmakers.
Some Republican lawmakers on Wednesday accused two U.S. agencies of wasting hundreds of millions of dollars in broadband stimulus money on failed projects, but supporters of the broadband spending questioned the Republican numbers.
Three large broadband projects funded recently by the U.S. Rural Utilities Service (RUS) largely cover areas already served by broadband providers, according to a study released Wednesday by a trade group representing cable broadband providers.
A U.S. Congress subcommittee has approved a bill requiring two government agencies to return any unused money from broadband deployment programs that were part of a huge 2009 economic stimulus package.
Large swaths of the western and southern U.S. do not have access to wired or fixed wireless broadband, according to a new national broadband map released by two U.S. agencies Thursday.
Two government agencies handing out more than US$7 billion for broadband deployment should reexamine grants to projects that overlap existing broadband service, and they should return any funds that go unspent, several Republican members of the U.S. ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- As 5G heads for IoT, 4G is far from done
- Microsoft's new Catapult v2 server design is targeted at AI
- Digital transformation is giving IT spending a big boost
- FBI warns that hackers are targeting state election systems
- Nutanix gets hyperconverged with PernixData and Calm.io
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCFacilities ManagerACT
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCChange / Project ManagerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- CCVMWare SpecialistACT
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia