Small mobile carriers lost a battle Thursday when the U.S. Federal Communications Commission declined to make it easier for them to get access to a reserved slice of spectrum during a 2016 auction of television spectrum.
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will decide this week which mobile carriers will control billions of dollars worth of prime wireless spectrum scheduled to be auctioned next year.
Need something to watch on a flight? You can download an episode of your favorite show in less than a minute and a half on Verizon Wireless at Atlanta's airport -- or spend 13 hours doing the same over T-Mobile USA at Los Angeles International.
Mobile carriers Verizon Wireless and Sprint will pay a combined US$158 million[m] to settle complaints by two U.S. government agencies that they billed millions[m] of customers for unauthorized, third-pay text messaging services.
Amazon wants you to push its buttons...HP sues former execs for $5 billion...Belgians say Facebook is flouting laws... and more tech news.
Firefox OS, the smartphone operating system from Mozilla targeted at low-cost smartphones in emerging markets, is coming to more developed markets.
The Wi-Fi Alliance warned that LTE on unlicensed frequencies could interfere with Wi-Fi and said it plans to collaborate with the 3GPP cellular standards group to help prevent that.
In the hunt for ways to improve coverage and increase cellular speeds, Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile in the U.S., and SK Telecom of South Korea, are considering using LTE over 5GHz, which today is used by Wi-Fi networks.
Wi-Fi may carry many voice calls within the next few years, but the technology required to make those calls is still young in some ways.
Government agencies should investigate whether Verizon Wireless' use of so-called supercookies to track the online activities of its subscribers amount to privacy violations, three U.S. senators said Friday.
AT&T spent nearly US$18.2 billion on wireless spectrum licenses in a blockbuster mobile-auction spectrum for licenses across the U.S., far outspending the other major U.S. carriers and satellite service provider Dish Network.
A company that correlates data about users across different websites to share with marketers is using unique IDs inserted by Verizon into mobile Web traffic to recreate tracking cookies that have been deleted by users.
The owners of more than 200 million cars in the U.S. will be able to monitor their vehicles and get roadside assistance through a service Verizon will offer in by mid-year for US$14.99 per month.
Sony and Verizon Wireless have developed a new smartphone, the Xperia Z3V, which will be sold in the U.S. starting later this month.
High-definition voice calls are now available on all four major U.S. carriers after a nationwide launch by Verizon on Tuesday, though there's a long way to go before all those systems all work together and run over LTE.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
- Nasdaq to use blockchain to record shareholder votes
- Pwn2Own contest puts $75,000 bounty on VMware Workstation bypass
- Intel SSDs may get speed, capacity boost with new Micron chips
- Apple's iPhone sued for infringement of touch feedback patents
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Server EngineerNSW
- FTDatabase AdministratorVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - Audio VisualSA
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTChange & Communications OfficerQLD
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- FTProject Support OfficerWA
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC