Optus has launched its new mobile payment facility, Cash by Optus, whereby customers with compatible smartphones can make contactless purchases under $100.
In just under six months, a behind-the-scenes switch in the payments industry will change the way U.S. consumers shop and could bring wider acceptance for Apple Pay and its competitors.
Hewlett-Packard lowers outlook as struggles continue ... Visa tech could prep Europe for Apple Pay ... Gemalto says encryption keys are safe ... and more tech news
Visa Europe is rolling out the security technology that Apple Pay uses to process payments, raising the question of whether the Apple mobile payment system will cross the pond in the coming months.
Chip-and-PIN payment cards have a strong supporter in the hotbed of payment technologies, with San Francisco's district attorney promoting the new technology as a way to cut down on fraud.
Visa's contactless payment cards will approve very large transactions in currencies other than the British pound due to a flaw in a protocol, U.K. researchers contend.
It's been around only a week, but Apple Pay is already making waves in the mobile payments field. On Monday, major drugstore chain CVS joined rival Rite Aid in disabling the NFC (near-field communication) payment function on in-store terminals.
The launch this week of Apple Pay is giving many people their first taste of NFC payment technology, which allows them to buy things in a store by bringing an iPhone 6 close to a compatible terminal.
The launch of Apple Pay on Monday has brought considerable publicity to a technology that's already embedded in millions of Android smartphones yet has so far failed to take off.
A leader of the LulzSec hacking group is walking free after serving about seven months in prison because of his cooperation with police that has helped prevent hundreds of other attacks.
National security may be at stake as private businesses try to manage a growing number of cyberthreats, but IT professionals shouldn't have to bear that burden alone.
The CEO of retailer Target revealed Saturday in an interview that the company's point-of-sale (PoS) systems were infected with malware, confirming what security experts suspected since the massive data breach was announced in mid-December.
A branch of the NSA has been collecting global financial data, including credit card transactions and data from SWIFT, which runs an international bank messaging system, according to a report Sunday from Der Spiegel.
While mobile payments transform financial life in many less developed countries, retailers and payment providers in the U.S. and Europe are still trying to find the right incentives to drive adoption.
The three-year blockade against donations to WikiLeaks may have just been chiseled away, in Iceland, by a ruling handed down by the European country's Supreme Court.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- CCRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCDevOps /Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCx2 AEM Frontend/UI DevelopersVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160628/P/133Asia
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTIT Support Analyst (Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160616/AP/185Asia
- CCEngineering Lead - InfrastructureVIC
- CCSAP Application Delivery LeadVIC
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCTechnical OfficerACT
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin) 160617/P/564Asia