Volvo has developed a system that provides real-time warnings to drivers of black ice or disabled vehicles on the road ahead.
A complex network of sensors, lasers and a cloud-based positioning system are part of a plan from Volvo Cars to have 100 self-driving cars on the road by 2017.
Cars that can park themselves, cycle helmets that can communicate to avoid collisions and the coming battle between Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto will all be hot topics at International CES in January.
Some of the most futuristic features envisioned in networked cars will depend on 5G mobile technology that probably won't be available in full until 2020, according to Ericsson's chief technology officer.
Volvo is starting a pilot project that aims to have 100 self-driving cars on Swedish public roads around the city of Gothenburg by 2017.
Volvo is using technology to make its cars safer as the car maker works towards an era of self-driving cars. The upcoming XC90 will be the first car in an overhauled range to introduce a suite of safety, self-driving and entertainment technologies wh...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- US transport agency guidance on vehicle cybersecurity irks lawmakers
- Twitter said to plan 300 more job cuts this week
- Lyft customers face potential hack from recycled phone numbers
- For cordless VR and more, WiGig may be worth the wait
- Nissan, Renault tout plans to make 10 autonomous vehicles by 2020
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTMigration Release ManagerACT
- FTSenior Murex DeveloperVIC
- CCHelpdesk/Desktop supportVIC
- FTMid to senior Java Software EngineerNSW
- CCSnr Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161020/ITA/652Asia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/XML) 161018/JP/922Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- CCProject SchedulerWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - AgileVIC
- CCWebpage Designer - Canberra RoleNSW
- CCSAS DI DeveloperNSW
- FTERP Data Migration ConsultantNSW
- TPAgile Coach. Business AgilityNSW
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 161019/JP/552Asia
- CCJava Developers - Federal Government experienceNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Java ProgrammerWA
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- CCWebpage DesignerACT
- CCTest Analyst : AutomationNSW
- TPSAP Project ManagerSA
- CCiOS Developer - 6 Month ContractNSW