Privacy group wants Google to forget more... Programmer escapes vampire squid... Self-driving cars evade human menace... and more tech news
Google is making good on its promise to make its Maps app more comprehensive and useful following its acquisition of mapping company Waze, with some new traffic update features going live Tuesday.
Google's updated version of Maps finally started rolling out to Android smartphones and tablets this week. The interface has been overhauled to more closely match Google's new design norm.
Google is incorporating several new features into its Maps app on Android-powered devices -- which are also coming soon to iOS -- to make it easier to search and navigate using the service.
U.S. antitrust agencies should block Google's proposed acquisition of crowdsourced mapping app Waze because the deal would take away Google's major competitor in mobile maps, consumer group Consumer Watchdog said.
Google is buying the crowdsourced mapping app developer Waze, in a move geared toward adding more real-time navigation tools to its own Maps software, the company announced Tuesday.
Waze's crowdsourced traffic and navigation app is attractive to Google, which is said to be a serious suitor for the app, because of the wealth of mapping data it offers. But Waze's biggest draw may be social, some experts say.
Google is close to a deal to acquire Waze, maker of the eponymous crowdsourced mapping app, for at least $1 billion, according to the Wall Street Journal and others.
Hackers can influence real-time traffic-flow-analysis systems to make people drive into traffic jams or to keep roads clear in areas where a lot of people use Google or Waze navigation systems, a German researcher demonstrated at BlackHat Europe.
Have you ever been running late to an important business meeting or client presentation only to find yourself stuck in a two-mile traffic jam due to an accident on the highway, or having to reroute around a flooded road? Of course you have. Checking ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCNetwork Architect - Cisco, Aruba and SecurityNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160810/AP/662Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- CCAgile Performance Tester- Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence, JiraNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- FTJDE DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Citrix EngineerNSW