Companies are wary about what employees are doing on their smartphones. Be it data loss or time-wasting, a growing number of employers are actively stopping staff from using certain apps on company-controlled devices.
The Electronic Frontier Foundation released the latest version of its annual "Who Has Your Back" report on tech companies' data disclosure policies Wednesday afternoon, giving perfect five-star ratings to companies including Apple, Adobe, Dropbox and...
Facebook-owned WhatsApp, the popular mobile messaging and calling service, has no immediate plans to offer tools to outside developers to let them build services on top of it.
Facebook's Messenger app has traditionally been used for keeping in touch with friends. Now people can also use it to send each other money. In the future, it could become a platform which other apps could use, if recent rumors prove true.
Iran has arrested several Facebook users on charges ranging from insulting religious figures to conducting immoral activities, even as it is said to be talking to Google about setting up operations in the country.
WhatsApp is now available for the Web, in a form that pairs the mobile version of the app to a user's desktop computer.
The U.K. may ban online messaging services that offer encryption such as WhatsApp and Apple's iMessage, under surveillance plans laid out by Prime Minister David Cameron.
Mobile messaging platform WhatsApp has accumulated more than 700 million monthly active users and seems on track to reach 1 billion in about a year, a target Facebook set when it acquired the company in 2014.
Ramping up efforts to keep its customers' messages safe from snooping, WhatsApp said Tuesday that it now supports end-to-end encryption for messages sent between users.
Facebook has revealed a little more about what compelled it to spend close to $US19 billion earlier this year to buy mobile messaging service WhatsApp -- a deal that had many scratching their heads at the huge sum.
Facebook said Monday it had closed its acquisition of messaging app WhatsApp, giving the social network a massively popular service for mobile messaging.
Facebook's US$19 billion bid for WhatsApp won the approval of European Union competition regulator on Friday.
Several Facebook and WhatsApp competitors were sent questionnaires by the European Commission asking them about the effect that the US$19 billion deal between the companies could have on competition, people familiar with the matter have confirmed.
Facebook is reportedly requesting that the European Commission review its pending WhatsApp acquisition, in what is likely an effort to avoid multiple, parallel antitrust scrutiny in several countries.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission on Thursday cleared a path for Facebook's acquisition of WhatsApp to proceed, though it called on both companies to be mindful of their data collection policies.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Cybercriminals adopt spies' techniques to pull off online bank heists
- Watch hundreds of robots and drones in an amazing choreographed dance
- Java installer flaw shows why you should clear your Downloads folder
- Facebook's Free Basics prohibited in India
- Apple's GPU supplier ditches CEO, seeks new strategy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk, Service Support- Remedy or SAP backgroundNSW
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCOpen_5pm 5th February_Program ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Information Security SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCSenior Systems Analyst (Biomedical)SA
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- FTSenior Portfolio Manager - IT ProjectsNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- CCDBA (Oracle/SQL)NSW
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- CCETL DeveloperNSW
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW