Online criminals are scanning the Internet and attacking Windows 2000 machines that haven't had a recent Windows Media Service patch installed, Symantec said Wednesday.
Microsoft offers support for its products for five years and extended support for another five years. That time will soon be up for Windows 2000 (desktop and server) and Windows XP SP2: July 13 is the last day that extended support will be available.
Microsoft has re-released a buggy update that didn't properly protect some of its Windows 2000 users from a security flaw.
Microsoft took the unusual step today and skipped patching one of the vulnerabilities addressed in its monthly security update, saying that crafting a fix was "infeasible."
Mozilla Corp. is considering dropping support for Windows 2000 and the earliest versions of XP when it ships the follow-up to Firefox 3.5 in 2010, online discussions show.
Just a day after downplaying the vulnerability that caused it to issue an out-of-cycle patch last week, Microsoft late Monday warned customers that exploit code had gone public and is being used in additional attacks.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple reports second straight quarter of declining iPhone sales
- Google taps AI to help you bid for digital ads
- Gain access to an ARM server running Linux OS, through the cloud
- SMS-based two-factor authentication may be headed out the door
- Intel is developing AR smart glasses for interactive collaboration
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Data ArchitectNSW
- CCAgile Performance Tester- Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence, JiraNSW
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- CC.Net DeveloperACT
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCNetwork DesignerNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- FTAppian DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC