Microsoft is investigating reports that some users are trying and failing to update their PCs and tablets to Windows 8.1, apparently due to outdated and incompatible drivers.
The Windows RT 8.1 update is back on the Windows Store, days after Microsoft took it down in response to installations that went wrong and left users with devices that couldn't boot up.
Microsoft's Windows 8 woes continue, as the 8.1 OS update for Windows RT remains offline days after technical problems forced the vendor to pull it from the Windows Store.
Microsoft has pulled Windows RT 8.1 from the Windows Store due to unspecified technical problems.
Windows 8.1 is finally here and with it comes Microsoft's hopes of a second act for its flagship operating system.
It's hard to believe that not a single Windows 8 tablet has matched the screen resolution of Apple's iPad, but Sharp plans to change that with its Mebius Pad.
While Windows 8.1 promises many changes from Windows 8, one thing that will remain the same is the price to U.S. consumers.
After developers and IT pros pelted Microsoft with complaints, the company has backtracked and decided to grant them access to the latest Windows 8.1 build instead of making them wait until mid-October.
Windows 8 may be seeing sluggish demand, but Dell believes its the best OS for business tablets and plans to roll out more products built with the operating system later this year, a senior executive said Tuesday.
Steven Sinofsky, who exited Microsoft abruptly weeks after his Windows 8 brainchild shipped, has found a new gig at venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz.
Shoppers who tried to buy a Windows RT tablet at Dell's website Friday morning would have seen one listed for US$299. By the end of the day the cheapest tablet came bundled with a keyboard for $479.
The market for x86 open-source PCs is now a two-horse race, with GizmoSphere releasing schematics and design documents for hobbyists to build from scratch a Windows 8 computer based on open design.
Microsoft will start selling its struggling Surface devices to business customers abroad via channel partners on Thursday.
The much-anticipated update for Windows 8 will begin shipping on Oct. 17, delivering a set of changes that Microsoft hopes will calm critics and improve sales of the tablet-optimized OS.
Nvidia is expecting Tegra chip revenue to drop by as much as 40 per cent this year, with the company indirectly blaming Microsoft's Windows RT OS for the decline.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- To solve IoT security, look at the big picture, ARM says
- FCC tells ISPs to get customer permission before sharing sensitive info
- No need to shoot down drones! Many of them can now be hijacked
- Qualcomm agrees to buy NXP for over $37 billion
- Privacy group shoots legal arrow at Privacy Shield
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCWintel Technical LeadVIC
- CCHuman Sciences Professional - DefenceSA
- CCBusiness Case Developer - GovernmentNSW
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCFront End Developer - Mid LevelNSW
- TPJunior Business AnalystQLD
- CCInformatica LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - PIMAsia
- FTHead of Information and Digital Technology at Taronga ZooNSW
- FTPortfolio ManagerVIC
- CCDatacenter EngineerNSW
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161020/ITA/652Asia
- FTLevel 2 Application SupportVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCMicrosoft AX Support AnalystsQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantNSW
- FTTechnical Services EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Middleware SpecialistNSW
- FTImplementation Consultant SydneyNSW
- CCStrategy AnalystVIC