Reformatting and restoring a PC is not fun--in the way spending 2 hours in the dentist's chair is not fun. You have to back up all your data (and pray that you haven't forgotten anything), reformat the hard drive, install Windows, track down missing ...
I'm a big fan of Microsoft's Windows Media Center, which is built into Vista and Windows 7.
One of my longstanding complaints with Windows Media Center (which for the most part I love) is its lack of support for playlists.
Vista received well-deserved criticism for bringing few noteworthy new features in its train when it arrived to take over from Windows XP. In contrast, Windows 7 offers plenty of new stuff to like. Fortunately, you can add many of these features to y...
Much of the excitement about Windows 7 relates to an assortment of user-interface improvements: a little eye candy here, a few window-management tweaks there. Below are some of the highlights, along with the tools you'll need to get them for your cur...
I'm answering my own question this time: How do you configure the Places Bar in Vista's standard file dialog boxes?
TucsonTJ asked the <a href="http://forums.pcworld.com/community/troubleshooting/answerline">Answer Line Forum</a> for a fast, slimmed-down alternative way to boot Windows.
By default, Windows "hides" various files and folders that are essential to system operation and data integrity. Why the Big Brother tactic? To protect you from yourself: moving or deleting any of these items could have unwelcome consequences.
Much as I love the idea behind Vista's window-preview thumbnails, which pop up when you mouse over any running program in the taskbar, I find them almost useless.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Mapping firm invites auto industry to improve spec for sharing vehicle sensor data
- Wormable flaws in Symantec products expose millions of computers to hacking
- Oracle pledges 'x86 economics' with new Sparc servers
- Microsoft's big Windows 10 update launches on August 2
- Review: Wireless charging and waterproof cases for iPhone plus Ollclip (Movie) Studio case
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTVoice ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Analyst - ERPNSW
- CCEngineering Lead - InfrastructureVIC
- CCSystem AnalystACT
- CCUrgent requirement for a Splunk SMEVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (System Backup Operation/UNIX) 160615/AP/791Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- CCSenior Media AnalystVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCCobol ProgrammerACT
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- FTSystems AnalystVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC