Reformatting and restoring a PC is not fun--in the way spending 2 hours in the dentist's chair is not fun. You have to back up all your data (and pray that you haven't forgotten anything), reformat the hard drive, install Windows, track down missing ...
I'm a big fan of Microsoft's Windows Media Center, which is built into Vista and Windows 7.
One of my longstanding complaints with Windows Media Center (which for the most part I love) is its lack of support for playlists.
Vista received well-deserved criticism for bringing few noteworthy new features in its train when it arrived to take over from Windows XP. In contrast, Windows 7 offers plenty of new stuff to like. Fortunately, you can add many of these features to y...
Much of the excitement about Windows 7 relates to an assortment of user-interface improvements: a little eye candy here, a few window-management tweaks there. Below are some of the highlights, along with the tools you'll need to get them for your cur...
I'm answering my own question this time: How do you configure the Places Bar in Vista's standard file dialog boxes?
TucsonTJ asked the <a href="http://forums.pcworld.com/community/troubleshooting/answerline">Answer Line Forum</a> for a fast, slimmed-down alternative way to boot Windows.
By default, Windows "hides" various files and folders that are essential to system operation and data integrity. Why the Big Brother tactic? To protect you from yourself: moving or deleting any of these items could have unwelcome consequences.
Much as I love the idea behind Vista's window-preview thumbnails, which pop up when you mouse over any running program in the taskbar, I find them almost useless.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- AMD has its eyes on Las Vegas with Polaris GPUs
- Nvidia teases Volta GPU in next-gen Xavier self-driving car computer
- Meet Apache Spot, a new open source project for cybersecurity
- Plat.One acquisition marks start of $2B IoT investment plan for SAP
- Review: Asus ROG G752 OC Edition - Faster than many desktop gaming PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTBackup ConsultantWA