Reformatting and restoring a PC is not fun--in the way spending 2 hours in the dentist's chair is not fun. You have to back up all your data (and pray that you haven't forgotten anything), reformat the hard drive, install Windows, track down missing ...
I'm a big fan of Microsoft's Windows Media Center, which is built into Vista and Windows 7.
One of my longstanding complaints with Windows Media Center (which for the most part I love) is its lack of support for playlists.
Vista received well-deserved criticism for bringing few noteworthy new features in its train when it arrived to take over from Windows XP. In contrast, Windows 7 offers plenty of new stuff to like. Fortunately, you can add many of these features to y...
Much of the excitement about Windows 7 relates to an assortment of user-interface improvements: a little eye candy here, a few window-management tweaks there. Below are some of the highlights, along with the tools you'll need to get them for your cur...
I'm answering my own question this time: How do you configure the Places Bar in Vista's standard file dialog boxes?
TucsonTJ asked the <a href="http://forums.pcworld.com/community/troubleshooting/answerline">Answer Line Forum</a> for a fast, slimmed-down alternative way to boot Windows.
By default, Windows "hides" various files and folders that are essential to system operation and data integrity. Why the Big Brother tactic? To protect you from yourself: moving or deleting any of these items could have unwelcome consequences.
Much as I love the idea behind Vista's window-preview thumbnails, which pop up when you mouse over any running program in the taskbar, I find them almost useless.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Dell's private buyout shortchanged shareholders, court rules
- Atari's going to build IoT devices that talk over a low-power network
- Marketo gets scooped up into the private world for US$1.79 billion
- Kaby Lake starts strong as Intel retools PC strategy
- OEM software update tools preloaded on PCs are a security mess
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- FTHadoop Operation EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCTechnical System Engineer (Linux/Mobile/SQL)160524/TSE/vmtAsia
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- FTLinux Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCDeployment Engineer / IT AuditorQLD
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- FTInfrastructure Specialist - Sec Ops Network & OSAsia
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- CCProjects Resource/ Workforce ManagerVIC
- CCSoftware Licensing AnalystVIC
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- CCProject Manager / Delivery Manager - TelcoNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160606/AP/251Asia