A way to let cellular operators share Wi-Fi frequencies without jamming up Internet service is now in the spotlight at the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.
Most of us have had the experience of being unable to connect to a Wi-Fi network in a location with lots of people. A technology that promises to alleviate that problem is, however, slowly but surely making headway.
With the Internet of Things in mind, ARM wants to improve the battery life of sensors that use Bluetooth, making it efficient enough to be powered using energy harvesting.
The new MacBook is supposed to usher in a wire-free future for laptops, but Apple left out technologies that could have saved road warriors a few ungainly wires.
In the romantic city of Barcelona, cellular and Wi-Fi are getting set up on a lot of dates this week.
If you have both cellular and Wi-Fi, why not use both? At Mobile World Congress, Alcatel-Lucent is demonstrating a way to do that as part of the same network.
Backers of Bluetooth plan to give the technology a way to form mesh networks, dramatically extending its range and potentially its role in the Internet of Things.
Texas Instruments and MediaTek have launched new offerings aimed at making it easier to build IoT (Internet of Things) devices with Wi-Fi connectivity.
The Wi-Fi Alliance warned that LTE on unlicensed frequencies could interfere with Wi-Fi and said it plans to collaborate with the 3GPP cellular standards group to help prevent that.
Wi-Fi may carry many voice calls within the next few years, but the technology required to make those calls is still young in some ways.
If unlicensed Wi-Fi spectrum is like a cool, independently run cafe, then mobile operators using those frequencies for LTE may sound like a corporate chain buying out your favorite spot.
Steadily growing demand for faster enterprise wireless LANs in the next four years is expected to drive up sales of both Wi-Fi gear and a new type of Ethernet for connecting next-generation access points.
Upstart mobile carrier FreedomPop is adding an unlimited data, voice and messaging plan for US$5 per month using Wi-Fi hotspots, and it plans to sell a Wi-Fi-only phone to use on the service.
Cisco Systems is forging ahead with LAN switches designed to support faster Wi-Fi access points even while an Ethernet standard for the technology they use is still taking shape.
I honestly don't even know how to rate the Astro A38. Technically it's a gaming headset, sure, but it's abundantly clear Astro doesn't really expect you to use these very often with your PC. Everything about this headset was designed with cell phones...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- FBI reports more attempts to hack voter registration system
- Home Theatre review: Which is better, a 4K projector or 4K TV?
- Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 review: HD video and stereo sound add polish to video calls
- Boat rental with GetMyBoat – the AirBnB of boating
- A new Microsoft tool shows how Win 10 might affect devices
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT