With the Internet of Things in mind, ARM wants to improve the battery life of sensors that use Bluetooth, making it efficient enough to be powered using energy harvesting.
The new MacBook is supposed to usher in a wire-free future for laptops, but Apple left out technologies that could have saved road warriors a few ungainly wires.
In the romantic city of Barcelona, cellular and Wi-Fi are getting set up on a lot of dates this week.
If you have both cellular and Wi-Fi, why not use both? At Mobile World Congress, Alcatel-Lucent is demonstrating a way to do that as part of the same network.
Backers of Bluetooth plan to give the technology a way to form mesh networks, dramatically extending its range and potentially its role in the Internet of Things.
Texas Instruments and MediaTek have launched new offerings aimed at making it easier to build IoT (Internet of Things) devices with Wi-Fi connectivity.
The Wi-Fi Alliance warned that LTE on unlicensed frequencies could interfere with Wi-Fi and said it plans to collaborate with the 3GPP cellular standards group to help prevent that.
Wi-Fi may carry many voice calls within the next few years, but the technology required to make those calls is still young in some ways.
If unlicensed Wi-Fi spectrum is like a cool, independently run cafe, then mobile operators using those frequencies for LTE may sound like a corporate chain buying out your favorite spot.
Steadily growing demand for faster enterprise wireless LANs in the next four years is expected to drive up sales of both Wi-Fi gear and a new type of Ethernet for connecting next-generation access points.
Upstart mobile carrier FreedomPop is adding an unlimited data, voice and messaging plan for US$5 per month using Wi-Fi hotspots, and it plans to sell a Wi-Fi-only phone to use on the service.
Cisco Systems is forging ahead with LAN switches designed to support faster Wi-Fi access points even while an Ethernet standard for the technology they use is still taking shape.
Hotel operator Marriott International has backed off its request to block some outside Wi-Fi hotspots inside its facilities, saying the company has responded to customer feedback.
The best and most noteworthy products and technologies found at CES 2015.
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will soon decide whether to lay down rules regarding hotels' ability to block personal Wi-Fi hotspots inside their buildings, a practice that recently earned Marriott International a US $600,000 fine.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160810/AP/662Asia
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTProject Coordinator- NSW Government - reform BackgroundNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCGeo-spatial AdministratorVIC
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - Citrix & VMWareNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior .Net Applications SupportACT
- CCService Coordinator/HelpdeskWA
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- CCPricing ManagerNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW