The coming Internet of things (IoT) revolution may not run on batteries, but on power plucked from the air, according to researchers at the University of Washington.
The expected boom in demand for small, often isolated devices in the Internet of Things is driving developers to craft new types of components.
In its quest to help enterprises seek out and neutralize all threats to their Wi-Fi networks, AirMagnet is now looking to the skies.
Google may be among the hopefuls vying to turn the New York City phone booths of the past into "communication points" of the future with free Wi-Fi and cellphone charging.
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has voted to spend US$2 billion over the next two years on improving Wi-Fi networks at schools and libraries, despite questions from Republican commissioners about the source of those funds.
A proposal by U.S. Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler to pump billions of dollars into Wi-Fi deployment at schools and libraries has run into a snag, with the commission's two Republican suggesting the money will come from U.S. re...
Smartphones and tablets will be able to transmit 4K video directly to big screens next year now that mobile chip maker Qualcomm has acquired Wilocity.
Ericsson says it has succeeded in sending data at 5 gigabits per second over a wireless testbed for future "5G" mobile networks.
San Francisco and San Jose are now at the cutting edge of another tech trend, and one that has nothing to do with smartwatches or social-media startups -- not directly, at least.
U.S. schools could get a cool billion to set up Wi-Fi networks to connect more than 10 million more students by the 2015-2016 school year under a new FCC proposal.
Airplanes may soon no longer provide a refuge from work emails: Telstra has revealed it is testing 4G services for commercial flights.
More than two-thirds of the world's Wi-Fi hotspots are in the Asia-Pacific region, partly because of huge deployments by mobile operators in China, and the number of hotspots worldwide is expected to more than double by 2018.
Checks and guesses spurred rumors that Apple has begun shipping raw synthetic sapphire material to Asia for processing into iPhone 6 display covers. One analyst estimated the amount shipped would be good for... maybe 115,000 covers.
Bluetooth 4.1, due out by the end of the year, will directly connect devices to cloud services.
Free Wi-Fi aggregator Fon is hoping to boost the popularity of its network with the Gramofon, a router that integrates music streaming. The first service to be added is Spotify, but more are on the way.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Tech groups call on presidential candidates to support encryption, embrace other IT issues
- Cisco patch stops attackers from taking over TelePresence systems
- Foxtel announces delayed English Premier League coverage confounding Optus' live EPL coverage debacle
- Box launches a product just for government users
- Apple patches vulnerable OS X Git version that put developers at risk
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCData AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCUAT Test AnalystWA
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- FTSoftware (.Net) DeveloperACT
- FTOIM Specialist- Oracle Identity and Access Management 11Gr2NSW
- CCSenior Test Analyst (Manual)NSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCMEAN Stack DeveloperVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCMid Range Developer (Senior .NET Developer)QLD
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW