Just months after dismissing the importance of mobile apps, Research in Motion could be jumping aboard the app bandwagon.
Microsoft and Nokia both have a lot to lose - and gain - by their mobile alliance, with the Finnish handset maker deciding to adopt Windows Phone 7 as its smartphone operating system.
The fast, high-capacity Wi-Fi that users have been enjoying for a few years in laptops is now due to hit smartphones and tablets in a big way, with two major Wi-Fi chip makers announcing products that use IEEE 802.11n with multiple antennas.
Despite efforts by Google, HP, Dell and others to grab center stage in recent weeks with tablet computer announcements, Apple and its market leading iPads remain the chief attention getters.
Israeli company Trusteer is taking its Rapport secure browsing technology into mobile security for the first time, announcing a smartphone and tablet protection system for businesses, Secure Web Access.
Customers of data centre provider ControlCircle are being offered a free smartphone app that can alert them to serious issues such as ongoing DDoS attacks in real time.
While Sprint's new dual-screen Kyocera Echo smartphone is an industry first, its debut is being met with some skepticism.
Qualcomm plans to demonstrate a peer-to-peer wireless technology that will let devices form "neighborhood-area networks" at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week.
Nokia Siemens' Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will free users from having to manually switch a device's data connection between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, the company said on Tuesday.
The Motorola Xoom, the much anticipated Google Android 3.0-based tablet unveiled during CES last month, will sport a price tag of about $800 and be available on Feb. 24.
Google I/O, the annual Google confab for web, mobile and enterprise app developers, has sold out in just 59 minutes.
Inside Secure hopes to make it easier for Android phone designers to use its NFC chips -- or those of its competitors -- with the release of a version of its Open NFC software stack for Android.
The hacker group known as Chronic Dev Team has released code that lets any Apple device running the latest iOS firmware to load apps without having to go through the iTunes App Store.
An analyst's open letter to Nokia's CEO, a former Microsoft executive, has triggered intense speculation that the Finnish phone maker will adopt Windows Phone 7 as the firmware for at least some of its struggling smartphone line.
MIAMI -- With all the hype surrounding 4G technologies such as LTE and WiMAX, it's easy to forget just how useful Wi-Fi is in our daily lives.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Join the PC World newsletter!
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Obama rolls out initiative to boost US supercomputer capability
- Oracle preps 'Sonoma' chip for low-priced Sparc servers
- Researchers develop astonishing Web-based attack on a computer's DRAM
- Samsung plots Galaxy S6 price cut, new phones to help business
- As Windows 10 launches, Microsoft pushes for enterprise adoption
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC