Wi-Fi looks set to play a growing role in mobile networks even as LTE and other new cellular technologies with higher capacity are deployed.
In a move that underscores the importance of both mobile devices and video in staying connected within enterprises, Logitech is extending its LifeSize video streaming system to iPads, iPhones and iPods.
The latest Apple iPhone 5 rumor centers on the anticipated smartphone featuring a 4-inch screen, about 14% bigger than the standard 3.5-inch display of current iPhones and more in line with what Google Android phone makers have been offering.
A newly formed industry group has proposed a standard that could significantly boost the upload speeds of video content to mobile devices.
Just months after dismissing the importance of mobile apps, Research in Motion could be jumping aboard the app bandwagon.
Microsoft and Nokia both have a lot to lose - and gain - by their mobile alliance, with the Finnish handset maker deciding to adopt Windows Phone 7 as its smartphone operating system.
The fast, high-capacity Wi-Fi that users have been enjoying for a few years in laptops is now due to hit smartphones and tablets in a big way, with two major Wi-Fi chip makers announcing products that use IEEE 802.11n with multiple antennas.
Despite efforts by Google, HP, Dell and others to grab center stage in recent weeks with tablet computer announcements, Apple and its market leading iPads remain the chief attention getters.
Israeli company Trusteer is taking its Rapport secure browsing technology into mobile security for the first time, announcing a smartphone and tablet protection system for businesses, Secure Web Access.
Customers of data centre provider ControlCircle are being offered a free smartphone app that can alert them to serious issues such as ongoing DDoS attacks in real time.
While Sprint's new dual-screen Kyocera Echo smartphone is an industry first, its debut is being met with some skepticism.
Qualcomm plans to demonstrate a peer-to-peer wireless technology that will let devices form "neighborhood-area networks" at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week.
Nokia Siemens' Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will free users from having to manually switch a device's data connection between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, the company said on Tuesday.
The Motorola Xoom, the much anticipated Google Android 3.0-based tablet unveiled during CES last month, will sport a price tag of about $800 and be available on Feb. 24.
Google I/O, the annual Google confab for web, mobile and enterprise app developers, has sold out in just 59 minutes.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSAP HR Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCERP LeadWA
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCProject Manager :ApplicationsWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Reporting, Excel and AutoCAD experienceNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Improvement and Change ManagerQLD
- CCTest EngineerQLD
- FTDesktop Deployment EngineerWA
- FTDesktop Support Team LeaderVIC
- CCService Desk/Helpdesk ConsultantNSW
- CCService Desk/Helpdesk ConsultantNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - LMSNSW
- FTBusiness Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTTechnology Solutions Architect - CloudVIC
- CCService Desk Consultant - Must have baseline or NV1 clearanceNSW
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsVIC
- TPXamarin DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Client Support AnalystNSW
- FTJava Full Stack DeveloerQLD
- TPSenior UI Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCLead Systems EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTIT Systems AnalystVIC