A newly formed industry group has proposed a standard that could significantly boost the upload speeds of video content to mobile devices.
Just months after dismissing the importance of mobile apps, Research in Motion could be jumping aboard the app bandwagon.
Microsoft and Nokia both have a lot to lose - and gain - by their mobile alliance, with the Finnish handset maker deciding to adopt Windows Phone 7 as its smartphone operating system.
The fast, high-capacity Wi-Fi that users have been enjoying for a few years in laptops is now due to hit smartphones and tablets in a big way, with two major Wi-Fi chip makers announcing products that use IEEE 802.11n with multiple antennas.
Despite efforts by Google, HP, Dell and others to grab center stage in recent weeks with tablet computer announcements, Apple and its market leading iPads remain the chief attention getters.
Israeli company Trusteer is taking its Rapport secure browsing technology into mobile security for the first time, announcing a smartphone and tablet protection system for businesses, Secure Web Access.
Customers of data centre provider ControlCircle are being offered a free smartphone app that can alert them to serious issues such as ongoing DDoS attacks in real time.
While Sprint's new dual-screen Kyocera Echo smartphone is an industry first, its debut is being met with some skepticism.
Qualcomm plans to demonstrate a peer-to-peer wireless technology that will let devices form "neighborhood-area networks" at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week.
Nokia Siemens' Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will free users from having to manually switch a device's data connection between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, the company said on Tuesday.
The Motorola Xoom, the much anticipated Google Android 3.0-based tablet unveiled during CES last month, will sport a price tag of about $800 and be available on Feb. 24.
Google I/O, the annual Google confab for web, mobile and enterprise app developers, has sold out in just 59 minutes.
Inside Secure hopes to make it easier for Android phone designers to use its NFC chips -- or those of its competitors -- with the release of a version of its Open NFC software stack for Android.
The hacker group known as Chronic Dev Team has released code that lets any Apple device running the latest iOS firmware to load apps without having to go through the iTunes App Store.
An analyst's open letter to Nokia's CEO, a former Microsoft executive, has triggered intense speculation that the Finnish phone maker will adopt Windows Phone 7 as the firmware for at least some of its struggling smartphone line.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Intel's Atom architecture to live on despite smartphone chip cancellations
- Microsoft's CEO explains why his company sued the U.S. government
- Can Oracle buy its way into the cloud?
- Michael Dell talks to EMC World about massive merger
- A judge has partially dismissed Twitter's surveillance case against the US government
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCMid or Senior Developer - Mobile Applications - (iOS)NSW
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC