Oracle has presented an overview of its ambitions for its newly acquired Sun products, focusing on integrated systems offering everything from the application to the database, servers and storage.
x86 server market
Intel is set to start production of its next-generation Xeon quad-core server chips ahead of schedule, which could then appear in systems as early as the first quarter of next year, a company official said on Tuesday.
HP has announced it will offer 60GB and 120GB solid-state disk (SSD) drives as an option across the full range of HP ProLiant G6 servers, as well as in select ProLiant G5 servers.
IBM is bundling its x86 servers with VMware's newest virtualization platform, and offering financing packages to lower upfront costs.
The explosion of giant Web properties has server vendors building a new kind of machine that is stripped down to the bare essentials and optimized for cost- and energy-efficiency, analysts say.
Faced with the continued commoditization of servers, IT vendors this year will try to differentiate their offerings by moving toward more highly integrated, unified compute platforms.
Experts have one question about Nvidia's public admission last week that it may offer its own PC processor: What took you so long?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 2 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 3 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 4 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 5 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- These solar road panels could turn our world into Tron
- New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record
- Firmware exploit can defeat new Windows security features on Lenovo ThinkPads
- Use Apache Spark? This tool can help you tap machine learning
- Intel tunes its mega-chip for machine learning
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - ApplicationsNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager (Omni-Channel)VIC
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCIT Change Manager - Western SydneyNSW
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCOracle Administrators with SiebelACT
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - Digital / MediaNSW
- CCSenior Change Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSystems application support analystNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCMidrange Technical ArchitectQLD
- FTTechnical COE SpecialistACT
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- CCChange ManagerACT
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- FTTechnical Lead - Tier 1 Customer interfaceACT
- CCRelease and Deployment ManagerACT
- CCAgile Product Manager/ UX, Web, Digital Project ManagerNSW