The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will adopt net neutrality rules in early 2015, maybe as soon as February, several observers believe, but few people want to predict what those rules will look like.
Technology can be awesome, when it's put to good use. A map on your phone? A satellite that can help farmers monitor their crops? Great! But not everything is so useful.
Once upon a time, life in the enterprise IT shop was fairly simple, at least conceptually speaking.
The European Commission is gearing up to solve some longstanding problems with outdated copyright and data protection laws and move ahead on new rules for roaming charges and net neutrality.
The poor design of two different smartphones, a low-resolution front camera with the new iPhone, the Moto G's lack of LTE, and the hefty price tag of the Amazon Fire led to disappointment this year when it came to smartphone releases.
After six months of contentious debate over U.S. National Security Agency surveillance programs, prompted by leaks from former government contractor Edward Snowden, the third week in December may have marked a major turning point.
For decades, scientists have fantasized about creating robots with brain-like intelligence. This year, researchers tempted by that dream made great progress on achieving what has been called the holy grail of computing.
With 2013 coming to an end, we took our annual look back at quotes from news stories over the last 12 months. Here are a handful that stuck with us through the year:
Thanks to computers and the Internet, everyone is playing games these days.
It was a typically busy year for SAP, with the company making headlines for strong sales of its HANA in-memory database, high-profile acquisitions and aggressive moves into cloud computing.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's "Holoportation" will virtually beam you into another room
- Russia claims it foiled a cyber attack from a foreign spy service
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Random iPhone 6s shutdowns due to faulty battery component, Apple says
- Researchers find a way bypass the iOS activation lock
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTJava Full Stack DeveloerQLD
- FTService Lifecycle Management Contract AdministratorVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectACT
- FTWeb and Mobile iOS/Android Developer (Permanent)NSW
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- CCAccount Executive - SMEVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Software EngineerACT
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkNSW
- FTSenior Architect, Financial MarketsNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- TPSAP BO DeveloperWA
- TPBusiness Improvement and Change ManagerQLD
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCSiebel Developers x 8ACT
- FTSenior Financial Planner - BallaratNSW
- FTSenior Manager, Data and InformationQLD
- CCWintel Server SupportACT
- CCDigital Producer | 3 Month Contract roleNSW
- CCWeb Analytics Specialist | 6 month contractNSW
- TPCloud DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness and Reporting AnalystWA
- FTJava DevelopersWA
- FTSenior Project Manager / Program ManagerNSW
- FTChange Manager/ Project ManagerACT