Over previous tutorials, we have occasionally made use of arrays without going into much detail about exactly what arrays should be used for, which kind of arrays are supported by PHP and the routines the language provides to simplify array usage.
Dates and time form an important part of many sophisticated PHP applications. From simply displaying the date for a user to validating dates and times in user-supplied input, PHP developers have a wealth of functions to solve all manner of problems.
The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is widely used to transfer files across networks. Utilising it in a PHP script allows you to increase the level of sophistication of your PHP scripts as well as learn more about how FTP works. Before proceeding, get t...
The PHP Extension and Application Repository (PEAR) is an open source structured library of packages for PHP developers. These packages provide routines which solve problems PHP developers regularly face: sending structured e-mail (such as an HTML at...
HTML e-mail has transformed Inernet communication from one of standard text correspondence to an environment where users may choose to send and receive messages in the same format as online Web pages.
In previous columns we investigated some basic image tips and the necessary syntax for coding an image into your Web site. This time we look in more detail at the images themselves: their properties, where you can find them, and how to optimise them ...
The focus of object orientation is the logical grouping of related variables into a generic variable - an object. Before you can create an object, however, you must create a class. A class is a template for an object. The following class, Vehicle, is...
In past columns, we have investigated the basic structure of HTML tables and their many properties. This showed you how to create basic tables and insert data, images and additional code into them.
Last time we looked at how to insert CSS into the HEAD tags of your HTML pages for formatting within an individual page. Now we show how to create a separate CSS template to link to multiple pages. This will enable you to make formatting changes onc...
Personal data stored on your computer is worth a lot more than just the hardware. Make sure you take the necessary steps to ensure you protect it.
As well as being great for generating textual content dynamically, PHP is also useful for dynamically creating images. Using a special PHP extension, we'll explore the possibilities of image creation in this column over the next few columns.
Integrating Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) into your HTML pages can not only enhance your site, but also make coding easier. In this first of a two-part series, we investigate the language of CSS and how the syntax differs from standard HTML. Next mont...
Read this guide to understand how e-mail works and how it folds into the broader capabilities of today's messaging and collaboration platforms.
Even though computing resources may be locked in high-security data centres, the security guards can do nothing to stop an electronic assault by someone using a network address to access the system.
If you're running a small business and have more than two or three PCs in the office, it's time to start looking at setting up a server. And one of your first considerations will be which server operating system (OS) to use.
Learn how to protect your digital lifestyle. A must read for all those who are active online.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple sales, profits fall again but a brighter outlook ahead
- AWS quietly launches tool for migrating on-premesis apps to the cloud
- Intel wants to make its IoT chips see, think, and act
- Workstation software flaw exposes industrial control systems to hacking
- Critical account creation flaws patched in popular Joomla CMS
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTOperations SupportNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectNSW
- CCTechnical Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- FTSoftware Development ManagerNSW
- CCContract Management SpecialistNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTNetwork Specialist - Palo Alto FirewallsVIC
- CCInformation Security Consultant - RSA ArcherNSW
- FTUI UX Specialist | Technical BAQLD
- FTApplications ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - experience in IDAM a MUSTNSW
- FTPre-Sales Consultant - HardwareVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - DigitisationQLD
- CCAccounts Payable/Contract Officer- NSW Government backgroundNSW
- CCKofax DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior C# .Net EngineerNSW
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportQLD
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystVIC