Over previous tutorials, we have occasionally made use of arrays without going into much detail about exactly what arrays should be used for, which kind of arrays are supported by PHP and the routines the language provides to simplify array usage.
Dates and time form an important part of many sophisticated PHP applications. From simply displaying the date for a user to validating dates and times in user-supplied input, PHP developers have a wealth of functions to solve all manner of problems.
The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is widely used to transfer files across networks. Utilising it in a PHP script allows you to increase the level of sophistication of your PHP scripts as well as learn more about how FTP works. Before proceeding, get t...
The PHP Extension and Application Repository (PEAR) is an open source structured library of packages for PHP developers. These packages provide routines which solve problems PHP developers regularly face: sending structured e-mail (such as an HTML at...
HTML e-mail has transformed Inernet communication from one of standard text correspondence to an environment where users may choose to send and receive messages in the same format as online Web pages.
In previous columns we investigated some basic image tips and the necessary syntax for coding an image into your Web site. This time we look in more detail at the images themselves: their properties, where you can find them, and how to optimise them ...
The focus of object orientation is the logical grouping of related variables into a generic variable - an object. Before you can create an object, however, you must create a class. A class is a template for an object. The following class, Vehicle, is...
In past columns, we have investigated the basic structure of HTML tables and their many properties. This showed you how to create basic tables and insert data, images and additional code into them.
Last time we looked at how to insert CSS into the HEAD tags of your HTML pages for formatting within an individual page. Now we show how to create a separate CSS template to link to multiple pages. This will enable you to make formatting changes onc...
Personal data stored on your computer is worth a lot more than just the hardware. Make sure you take the necessary steps to ensure you protect it.
As well as being great for generating textual content dynamically, PHP is also useful for dynamically creating images. Using a special PHP extension, we'll explore the possibilities of image creation in this column over the next few columns.
Integrating Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) into your HTML pages can not only enhance your site, but also make coding easier. In this first of a two-part series, we investigate the language of CSS and how the syntax differs from standard HTML. Next mont...
Read this guide to understand how e-mail works and how it folds into the broader capabilities of today's messaging and collaboration platforms.
Even though computing resources may be locked in high-security data centres, the security guards can do nothing to stop an electronic assault by someone using a network address to access the system.
If you're running a small business and have more than two or three PCs in the office, it's time to start looking at setting up a server. And one of your first considerations will be which server operating system (OS) to use.
From corporate to connected lifestyle
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCService Desk Quality Assurance SpecialistNSW
- CCWeb Front- End DeveloperSA
- CCProgram PMO Analyst, GovernanceNSW
- TPSharepoint 2013 AnalystQLD
- CCNetwork AnalystNSW
- PTProject ManagersACT
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Java Developer | WebNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager / Program ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsVIC
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPProject Coordinator - IT Projects - State GovernmentVIC
- FTDatabase Administration Team LeaderQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Wealth/ AdviceNSW
- CCSenior Performance Test AnalystSA
- CCDeveloper - Tag managementNSW
- CCProcess Analysts, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Software EngineerACT
- FTSecurity AdministratorVIC
- CCMid-level .NET Developer/Programmer - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical AnalystACT
- TPSenior Test Analyst - Data ReconciliationQLD
- CCSenior Software Engineer - C/C++NSW