In terms of looks, Windows RT and Windows 8 use the same new-style Start screen. However, Windows RT has been designed specifically to run on ARM-based tablet devices.
Along with all the traditional PC vendors offering new equipment in time for the launch of Windows 8, what you will also find are Microsoft's own tablet devices, called Surface.
It's inevitable that with a new operating system there are new computers released to support it. With Windows 8, there are many different types of laptops to choose from, including thin-and-light Ultrabooks and, in particular, Ultrabooks that are get...
Almost every new Windows-based computer on the Australian market from late October and onwards will ship with a pre-installed version of Windows 8. However, if you have already purchased a new computer this year (after 22 June 2012), then you are eli...
Now that you know about Windows 8's main features and all-new design, you might be wondering what different versions are available to you.
The Control Panel in Windows 8 looks largely the same as the Control Panel in Windows 7, except for some added sections.
Microsoft has its own cloud-based storage solution called SkyDrive. It has its own tile on the Windows Start interface and it can be used to share data across multiple computers through the Internet.
Backup and Restore, which was a feature in the Windows 7 Control Panel, is no longer available in Windows 8. To back up your files, you can use the new feature called File History, which we discussed in the previous chapter.
Windows Defender is built into Windows 8 and it can be used for protection against viruses, spyware and other malicious software. It works in the background in real-time and can check any programs that you download from the Web for viruses before you...
Much like the app stores for Android- and Apple iOS-based smartphones and tablets, Microsoft has a dedicated store through which you can download and install various apps.
It's important to note that you can log in to Windows 8 either as a local user, or with an online Microsoft account.
One of the other main differences between the Windows 8 interface and the Windows 7 interface is in the way the networking interface is laid out.
While the biggest new feature in Windows 8 is the Start screen, some changes have also been implemented on the Desktop. In particular, the menus in Windows Explorer now use the Ribbon interface.
You'll get the most out of Windows 8 if you have a computer with a touchscreen, and particularly a tablet or hybrid-style Ultrabook. Using your finger to navigate the operating system is very easy once you learn all the necessary gestures.
Just as you can use a mouse to navigate around the Windows 8 interface, you can also use your notebook's touchpad to perform click-and-drag operations to close and manipulate apps.
Learn how to protect your digital lifestyle. A must read for all those who are active online.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Medical device security ignites an ethics firestorm
- Got big data? Check out these 100 best practices for keeping it secure
- Mozilla launches free website security scanning service
- Privacy Shield data transfer agreement now shelters 200 companies
- Dropbox prompts certain users to change their passwords
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCProject Manager (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 160906/PM/472Asia
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Internet/ Intranet) 160902/SA/222Asia
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCData ModellerACT