The popularity of teleworking is based on a simple premise posed by an obvious question: Why should someone have to drive to an office to talk on the phone and use a computer for work if they have a computer and a phone at home?
Until recently, I thought "second life" referred to one of those places the Bible says we'll go after we depart this life.
For the past few years, organizations have gone full-force in deploying a combination of wired and wireless enterprise networks. But now, as wireless technology matures, they are left asking: Where are the tools to unify management of these disparate...
The hundreds of thousands of people entering the Tokyo Motor Show are getting a chance to see more than just the latest cars -- there's a whole section of the mammoth exhibition devoted to the gadgets and gizmos that are increasingly becoming part of...
Are there unified threat management (UTM) firewalls with the chops to provide the perimeter security functions that an enterprise needs?
There is no real agreement about whether antivirus software is required in or even a good idea for an enterprise-class firewall.
The data center may seem a big place, but watts are watts: Every one you use costs you money. Two firewalls in a high-availability pair may not be the biggest power expense in a computer room, but that's no excuse to waste wattage.
We tested the OSPF-routing capabilities of the UTM devices in order to simulate the kind of multiple-exit network (two Internet gateways) that might be common in a large network.
One of the appliances we received was simply an off-the-shelf server (IBM's System x3650). Other devices ranged from very lightly customized (Secure Computing put an IPS accelerator board and a customized BIOS in a Dell box to yield its Sidewinder 21...
The high-availability (HA) and scalability features in the enterprise UTM firewalls we tested range from very fancy to dead simple.
Despite the fact that VPNs and firewalls have been residing on the same box for over seven years, our testing of both of the site-to-site and remote access VPN capabilities showed an astonishing variation on the quality of VPN implementations.
Because every network requires a different way of measuring performance and most UTM products offer thousands of deployment options, it's hard to draw even general conclusions about how these products will behave in your network. However, we can say ...
Google is putting the final touches on a mobile-phone project, but unlike Apple's iPhone the so-called GPhone is all about software for mobile carriers and mobile advertisers (Read the full story here). But everyone is asking, what will a GPhone look...
Wireless is one of the hottest research areas among academics, who are looking at ways to make networks faster, less expensive and more energy-efficient. Here's a whirlwind tour of some of the more intriguing projects underway at schools and labs acr...
What, no GPhone? That was the reaction from numerous commentators after Google unveiled its long-anticipated mobile phone plan on November 5. Yet what Google and partners such as T-Mobile, Motorola and Sprint Nextel of the newly formed Open Handset A...
From corporate to connected lifestyle
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Bankers plan to give Corda blockchain code to Hyperledger project
- Easy-to-exploit rooting flaw puts Linux computers at risk
- Intel asserts its trademark rights against John McAfee
- Big data: The obstacles we’re seeing and how to overcome them
- Privacy groups target kids advertising disguised as YouTube content
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProject Manager - Payroll SystemsSA
- FTGateway ManagerACT
- CCIT Data AnalystACT
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTProject Manager - Intelligent Transport SolutionsNSW
- FT.Net CRM Dynamics Developer LeadVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Support SpecialistACT
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- FTOperational Integrity ManagerNSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 161014/CO/vmtAsia
- CCSystem TestersQLD
- CCBusiness Process Specialist/AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonNSW
- CCDemand ManagerNSW
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Architect | Perl | Linux |MySQL | Infrastructure | TelecomNSW
- CCContract IT Helpdesk Support (Lotus Notes) 161007/ITHS/vmpAsia
- FTProject Manager - FinanceNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCApplications Support Technical OfficerACT
- CCHead of Digital (Technology Manager - Digital Transformations)NSW
- CCResident Operation Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia