Personal data stored on your computer is worth a lot more than just the hardware. Make sure you take the necessary steps to ensure you protect it.
As well as being great for generating textual content dynamically, PHP is also useful for dynamically creating images. Using a special PHP extension, we'll explore the possibilities of image creation in this column over the next few columns.
Integrating Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) into your HTML pages can not only enhance your site, but also make coding easier. In this first of a two-part series, we investigate the language of CSS and how the syntax differs from standard HTML. Next mont...
Read this guide to understand how e-mail works and how it folds into the broader capabilities of today's messaging and collaboration platforms.
Even though computing resources may be locked in high-security data centres, the security guards can do nothing to stop an electronic assault by someone using a network address to access the system.
If you're running a small business and have more than two or three PCs in the office, it's time to start looking at setting up a server. And one of your first considerations will be which server operating system (OS) to use.
Before you install a database, you need to grapple with concepts like database servers, relational and object databases, and the thorny question of why apparently similar products range in price from free to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
With the plethora of viruses, bugs, worms and threats invading the desktop these days, antivirus products have become a critical tool for any PC user.
.NET is Microsoft's vision for computing. Introduced with great fanfare more than two years ago, .NET promises to use common Internet protocols to seamlessly interconnect devices, data and applications. Heavily reliant on XML, .NET is designed to all...
In 'Create your own photogallery: Part I', I began creating an online photo gallery. Using www.woofbyte.com.au/gallery as a template, I reviewed techniques required to reduce the size of a graphically intensive Web site. Additionally, I discussed how...
One of the greatest things about Web pages is the ability to display data on the Internet and have other people view it straight away. Take photographs, for example. In the not-so-distant past, sharing pictures with others would mean either posting t...
Security of applications is one of the most important aspects of programming today - and one of the most overlooked and misunderstood. Now we will look at different security problems that face PHP developers and techniques to solve them.
In previous columns, we investigated some background terms relevant to making your Web site live, in addition to some preparatory questions to ask your ISP. Now we step you through uploading your Web site, with specific reference to an FTP program na...
We have looked extensively at interacting with the PostgreSQL relational database; now we look at integrating this into our ongoing project - a database-driven address book. First, we will have to create a table in the PostgreSQL database where we ca...
Whether you are looking for a cost-effective backup solution, or you just want to share files with your friends, a CD writer is pretty much an essential ingredient of any PC these days.
You can’t just rush out and buy the most expensive hard disk and expect it to be the best at fulfilling all your needs. Different hard disks are designed for different uses and if you buy the wrong one you’ll either waste a lot of money or find that it simply won’t work with your chosen task. Here we list the top 10 things to look out for when you buy a new hard disk, whether it’s for a laptop, desktop, Networked Attached Storage (NAS) device or a server in a data center.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCData Entry - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- FTData AnalystACT
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCAssociate Engineer (Communications Engineering)Asia
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- FTSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- CCTrainer - Windows 10 / Office 2016ACT
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - Citrix & VMWareNSW
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- FTSOE Desktop Engineer - must have SCCM 2012NSW
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC