We have looked at building a basic address book database system. Address Book 1 stored its data in a flat file format - that is, plain text. The problem with storing data like this is that it is inefficient to search the entire address book line by l...
An important part of coding is error checking. This month, we examine browser-related problems and also introduce HTML Validator Lite, which is a troubleshooting program that can identify syntax errors.
We have looked at storing address book entries submitted by users. The other requirement of an address book is to be able to locate an address. Now we will look at parsing address book entries and matching a user-supplied string: a search engine.
Last month I introduced you to tables by investigating structure, the major commands, and various properties of tables. This month's column explains how to insert captions, span rows and columns across other cells, place objects within your cells, an...
The previous column, 'Collecting user data' looked at how to accept data from basic HTML forms and store then in a structured format in a file. As this is such an important topic for those looking to become skilled in PHP development, we will revisit...
Tables are HTML structures that allow greater control over the positioning of elements in your Web pages. As an introduction. this column will explain how to specify the layout, cell dimensions, spacing, colour, and alignment of your tables.
There are two stages to receiving data from Web users: the first is to provide an interface to interact with, and the second is to retrieve this information. The most common way to do this is through the Common Gateway Interface (CGI), supported by P...
Previous columns have discussed how to change the size of text by using the FONT command.
In this column we look at writing data to files in a structured format and how to read it back in that format.
In the column 'Container tags' we began investigating online links, which enable you to 'click through' to another Web site that is live on the Internet.
If you read the 'PHP Hypertext Preprocessor' column, you might have been wondering about some of the peculiarities of string handling with PHP. Strings, simply, consist of one or more characters in sequence. In PHP, $s = "string" creates a string var...
In the previous column 'Get your Web site started' we looked at how most tags require an opening and a closing command. These are called container tags.
The remarkable volume of information which has moved to the Web over the last few years, and the complexity of delivering it dynamically to Web users, have resulted in the increased popularity of programming languages designed specifically for delive...
Before we start exploring in depth the structure of HTML, it is important to note that it is not a programming language, though you can be forgiven for thinking it is.
If you think HTML is only for die-hard Web-heads, then you may be overlooking the versatility of this very simple computer language.
Learn how to protect your digital lifestyle. A must read for all those who are active online.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Dell XPS 13 laptop (early 2015 model)
- 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 compact camera
- 3 HP Stream 8 tablet with Windows 8.1
- 4 Samsung Gear VR virtual reality headset
- 5 Alienware 13 gaming laptop
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Smaller, lower-priced Microsoft Surface 3 tablet coming in May
- In a haystack of data, Alation helps find the needle
- Apigee aims to unify IoT with APIs
- EPIC appeals to court for FAA drone privacy rules
- Verizon subscribers can now opt out of 'supercookies'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Ad Operations ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Ad Operations ManagerQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- CCMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- CCMobile iOS DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTCRM Campaign ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTMarketing Executive | MusicNSW
- FTProduct Producer | MobileNSW
- CCSenior Release EngineerNSW
- FTMedia Sales Executive - Client Side!!NSW
- CCInformation ArchitectNSW
- CCDBA (Oracle/SQL)NSW
- FTDigital Producer - Mobile AppsNSW
- FTDigital Communications Specialist | Internet Services| BrisbaneNSW
- FTAgency Sales Manager - Software Sales - Major Global Tech Company!NSW
- FTMobile Sales managerNSW
- CC.Net Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTDigital Producer - ConsumerNSW
- FTSenior SQL DBANSW
- FTEmail Campaign Manager - leading fashion group!NSW