Before you install a database, you need to grapple with concepts like database servers, relational and object databases, and the thorny question of why apparently similar products range in price from free to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
With the plethora of viruses, bugs, worms and threats invading the desktop these days, antivirus products have become a critical tool for any PC user.
.NET is Microsoft's vision for computing. Introduced with great fanfare more than two years ago, .NET promises to use common Internet protocols to seamlessly interconnect devices, data and applications. Heavily reliant on XML, .NET is designed to all...
In 'Create your own photogallery: Part I', I began creating an online photo gallery. Using www.woofbyte.com.au/gallery as a template, I reviewed techniques required to reduce the size of a graphically intensive Web site. Additionally, I discussed how...
One of the greatest things about Web pages is the ability to display data on the Internet and have other people view it straight away. Take photographs, for example. In the not-so-distant past, sharing pictures with others would mean either posting t...
Security of applications is one of the most important aspects of programming today - and one of the most overlooked and misunderstood. Now we will look at different security problems that face PHP developers and techniques to solve them.
In previous columns, we investigated some background terms relevant to making your Web site live, in addition to some preparatory questions to ask your ISP. Now we step you through uploading your Web site, with specific reference to an FTP program na...
We have looked extensively at interacting with the PostgreSQL relational database; now we look at integrating this into our ongoing project - a database-driven address book. First, we will have to create a table in the PostgreSQL database where we ca...
Whether you are looking for a cost-effective backup solution, or you just want to share files with your friends, a CD writer is pretty much an essential ingredient of any PC these days.
Throughout the recent HTML columns, we have investigated the code necessary to create your site. Up to this point, however, you have only been creating pages on your local machine. We haven't yet looked at how you post this site to the Internet once ...
Following from the last column's introduction to frames, we look at some frame properties that can change the look and functionality of your pages.
This column has been looking at ways to simplify the development of a database-driven Web-based address book. Now we look at a complete solution: the PostgreSQL Object Relational Database Management System (ORDBMS).
Frames are a combination of HTML pages that display on a browser simultaneously, giving the impression that they are one page. An example of a framed page is when a Web site has a menubar that stays in the same position within the browser window, whi...
This column will look at modifying 'Address book in PHP revisited's' AB2 code to allow searching of multiple data fields.
In the last column we introduced the use of embedded databases within PHP via the Database Abstract (DBA) Layer. Now, we will re-implement Address Book 1 (AB1) using this superior technology.
The Xiro XPLORER V Drone’s distinctive shape increases stability in air. Flying has never been easier thanks to the smart flight assistance and auto-hovering functions.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- To solve IoT security, look at the big picture, ARM says
- FCC tells ISPs to get customer permission before sharing sensitive info
- No need to shoot down drones! Many of them can now be hijacked
- Qualcomm agrees to buy NXP for over $37 billion
- Privacy group shoots legal arrow at Privacy Shield
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCInfrastructure Architect - CloudVIC
- CCProject SchedulerSA
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- CCIT Manager - ANZNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - PIMAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 161101/AP/162Asia
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- CCSharePoint / Office365 DeveloperSA
- FTPega DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTBusiness/Technical Consultant (CPM)QLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectQLD
- CCService Desk Consultant - TelcoTAS
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (Java/Oracle) 161102/SSA/624Asia
- FTNetwork Specialist - Palo Alto FirewallsVIC
- CCCisco Wi-Fi Network Engineer - SurveyorNSW
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCLevel 3 Microsoft Resource EngineerVIC
- FTMobile Delivery Manager / Studio LeadNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (SQL/Web) 161027/SA/842Asia