Along with all the traditional PC vendors offering new equipment in time for the launch of Windows 8, what you will also find are Microsoft's own tablet devices, called Surface.
It's inevitable that with a new operating system there are new computers released to support it. With Windows 8, there are many different types of laptops to choose from, including thin-and-light Ultrabooks and, in particular, Ultrabooks that are get...
Almost every new Windows-based computer on the Australian market from late October and onwards will ship with a pre-installed version of Windows 8. However, if you have already purchased a new computer this year (after 22 June 2012), then you are eli...
Now that you know about Windows 8's main features and all-new design, you might be wondering what different versions are available to you.
The Control Panel in Windows 8 looks largely the same as the Control Panel in Windows 7, except for some added sections.
Microsoft has its own cloud-based storage solution called SkyDrive. It has its own tile on the Windows Start interface and it can be used to share data across multiple computers through the Internet.
Backup and Restore, which was a feature in the Windows 7 Control Panel, is no longer available in Windows 8. To back up your files, you can use the new feature called File History, which we discussed in the previous chapter.
Windows Defender is built into Windows 8 and it can be used for protection against viruses, spyware and other malicious software. It works in the background in real-time and can check any programs that you download from the Web for viruses before you...
Much like the app stores for Android- and Apple iOS-based smartphones and tablets, Microsoft has a dedicated store through which you can download and install various apps.
It's important to note that you can log in to Windows 8 either as a local user, or with an online Microsoft account.
One of the other main differences between the Windows 8 interface and the Windows 7 interface is in the way the networking interface is laid out.
While the biggest new feature in Windows 8 is the Start screen, some changes have also been implemented on the Desktop. In particular, the menus in Windows Explorer now use the Ribbon interface.
You'll get the most out of Windows 8 if you have a computer with a touchscreen, and particularly a tablet or hybrid-style Ultrabook. Using your finger to navigate the operating system is very easy once you learn all the necessary gestures.
Just as you can use a mouse to navigate around the Windows 8 interface, you can also use your notebook's touchpad to perform click-and-drag operations to close and manipulate apps.
The Windows 8 interface has been designed with touchscreens in mind, but it's also possible to navigate it effectively using a keyboard and a mouse. In fact, if you don't have a touchscreen computer, and even if you never plan on getting one, you can...
Nothing speeds up your computer like a Solid State Disk (SSD). But there are plenty of unreliable drives out there so it’s Crucial you buy from a brand you can trust. But before looking at the benefits, just what is an SSD?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- This startup uses machine learning to turn your old enterprise apps into mobile ones
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives
- How Intel knocked itself out of the smartphone chip market
- Google Slides makes it easier to talk back to presenters
- Google turns on HTTPS for all blogspot blogs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Workforce ManagementVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCIBM MDM SpecialistVIC
- CCService Desk OperatorACT
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer, renewable contractAsia
- CCTechnical WriterACT