The new book "Exploiting Online Games" by Greg Hoglund and Gary McGraw explains how cheaters are winning at online role-playing games such as World of Warcraft where millions of players compete in the virtual world to win battles or treasure that is ...
Steve Wozniak isn't perhaps as well known as his Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, but "Woz" invented the Apple I in 1976 and the Apple II in 1977, which was one of the best-selling PCs of that time. In this interview, Wozniak, who turns 57 on Aug. 11, tal...
The basic framework of Nathan Myhrvold's story is well known. Born in Seattle in 1959, he went to college at age 14, taking a bachelor's degree in mathematics in 1979 at the same time he earned master's in geophysics and space physics at UCLA. Then, ...
According to Webster's Online Dictionary semantic means "the relationships between symbols and what they represent." Tim Berners-Lee, the man who invented the World Wide Web in 1989 at CERN, the European Particle Physics Laboratory in Geneva, has use...
In 1982, Disney studios released Tron, one of the first films from a major studio to feature extensive computer graphics. The movie is about a programmer (Jeff Bridges) who gets "digitized" and finds himself inside a computer where he is forced to pl...
At IBM Internet Security System's, the company's primary security research organization is called X-Force. Kris Lamb, director of X-Force, says his group is charged with knowing where potential threats will arise and deliver product, services and edu...
Digg is a Web 2.0 company that lets users post news stories, which are then "dugg" (bumped up the list of popular stories) or buried based on the reactions of other readers. The company's Digg.com Web site has been on a steady growth path since Febru...
Small and midsize businesses would rather chew tin foil, an industry pundit says, than spend money on enterprise backup software that is little suited to their needs. Senior Editor Deni Connor recently talked to George Symons, CEO of <a href="http://...
The US$8.2 billion buyout of Avaya by Silver Lake Partners and the Texas Pacific Group will change how the VOIP vendor will operate and interact with customers. Avaya Chief Operating Officer Mike Thurk discussed where the company goes from here with ...
Security has been a bit of a black art at Google. Unlike rival Microsoft, which publishes detailed information on its monthly patches and has openly evangelized the steps it takes to secure software, Google has generally been quiet when it comes to t...
Twenty-one year old John Leung was awarded a $US25,000 first prize by Bill Gates himself last week, in Microsoft's annual Next-Gen PC Design Competition. An undergraduate architecture student at the University of Melbourne, Leung's MADE in China subm...
With the launch of the Google Apps suite last year, Google became a provider of hosted collaboration and communication software for small and medium-size organizations, and it made clear its aspirations to lure large-company IT managers and CIOs with...
One of Google's most popular, older and controversial services, Google News, is the article aggregation and search site that media companies love to hate because it has become a major source of Web traffic and frustrations for many of them.
Someday robots will do more than vacuum your floors. They will train you, advise you and help you remember things as they strive to improve your quality of life.
It took three years of legal debate before Hew Raymond Griffiths, an Australian resident and British citizen, was surrendered to the U.S. for his involvement in the international software piracy group Drink or Die (DoD).
There are many laptops and convertibles on the market but few represent a full realisation of what a Windows-based convertible can be – a total marriage of Windows’ features with the hardware to make the most of it. This is why Microsoft made its own device, the Surface Pro, which is now in its fourth iteration.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Lavabit developer has a new encrypted, end-to-end email protocol
- Apple sues Qualcomm over patent licensing and $1B in payments
- New details emerge about Intel's super-small Euclid computer for robots
- Microsoft will soon end Office 2013 distribution through Office 365
- Researchers propose a way to use your heartbeat as a password
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCDigital Business Analyst l SalesforceNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTBI Tech Lead l Informatica ETL , Microstrategy, Big Data TechnologiesNSW
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- TPPL/SQL DeveloperNSW
- TPBI Report Developer - SSRS SSIS SSASNSW
- TPJava DeveloperSA
- TPProject Manager - SAPQLD
- FTNational Manager of Security - We are looking for a strong Leader - Syd CBDNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- CCApplication Programmer - Software - Geospatial and Industrial EnterpriseVIC
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPProject Manager - EnterpriseACT
- CCVirtualization ArchitectACT
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkQLD
- CCBusiness and Change Deployment LeadVIC
- CCIT Support AnalystVIC
- CCPeoplesoft SpecialistACT
- FTLife/400 Developers / Programmers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPService Delivery ManagerQLD
- CCNetwork Security Specialist - Palo Alto Firewall ExpertVIC