Companies like Google that build their business on software such as Linux have a moral imperative to contribute back to the free software community, a prominent open-source advocate said Tuesday.
Toshiba and Tohoku University researchers have found a read head drive technology that could increase areal density five hundred percent. It could mean a 5TB 3.5-inch drive or a 1TB 2-5-inch drive, both by 2013. The highest areal density of any shipp...
The strength of the encryption used now to protect banking and e-commerce transactions on many Web sites may not be effective in as few as five years, a cryptography expert has warned after completing a new distributing-computing achievement.
All the rumors about a Google phone may be just slightly off. Rather than sell a mobile handset, Google might instead offer wireless service.
A year-old deal between Google and Dell produces search results dominated by paid ads instead of the normal links, the founder of OpenDNS said Wednesday as he called the Google tool "spyware" and claimed it degrades users' experiences on the Web.
Windows Vista's official release earlier this year may have distorted PC sales in the last six months, but it is unlikely to accelerate the market overall, a market research firm said Wednesday.
Nvidia is promoting the idea that the graphics processing units (GPUs) it makes can also operate, when needed, as additional CPUs (central processing units) to vastly increase computing power.
EMI -- the music group behind Apple's DRM (digital rights management) free iTunes -- has agreed to be bought by private equity firm Terra Firma for £3.2 billion (AUD$7.69 billion). EMI has been the subject of bid speculation for the past year as its ...
When we last left Guitar Hero, GamePro reported on Activision's plans to release a new installment of the series called Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s.
Former US cyber security tsar Andy Purdy this week warned that globalization, which is driving companies to pursue talent and lower costs around the world, has turned software development into a national security issue.
Tim Berners-Lee has been talking about the <i>next</i> World Wide Web almost since the first World Wide Web, which he's credited with inventing, took off. Indeed, Berners-Lee first articulated his vision for a next generation Web in 1998, when he cal...
Vendors are adding bells and whistles to their wireless LAN products at Interop this week as the industry awaits a new generation of gear that may replace wired LANs entirely.
Three wireless LAN vendors are unveiling at Interop Las Vegas this week enterprise access points that will offer 100Mbps to 200Mbps throughput, shared among the Wi-Fi clients that connect to it.
Apple, which made a <a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/05/15itunes.html" target="_blank">big deal</a> earlier this month about offering Paul McCartney's 25-album catalog to its iTunes music store, was the odd man out Tuesday as most other ...
Microprocessor makers say they can meet demand for greater processing power and energy efficiency with research aired at an industry conference Tuesday in California.
You can’t just rush out and buy the most expensive hard disk and expect it to be the best at fulfilling all your needs. Different hard disks are designed for different uses and if you buy the wrong one you’ll either waste a lot of money or find that it simply won’t work with your chosen task. Here we list the top 10 things to look out for when you buy a new hard disk, whether it’s for a laptop, desktop, Networked Attached Storage (NAS) device or a server in a data center.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- SMS-based two-factor authentication may be headed out the door
- Intel is developing AR smart glasses for interactive collaboration
- Kimpton Hotels is investigating a possible payment card breach
- Verizon's Yahoo deal creates tracking powerhouse, privacy groups warn
- GE waves developers onto its huge IoT stage
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCPeopleSoft Consultant (Financial)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCIT Project Manager - Data Centre ProjectNSW
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- FTSystems Administrator, Linux, Networking, AWSNSW
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW