A software engineer in Australia has said he was offered payment by Microsoft to edit certain entries in the Wikipedia online dictionary, opening a heated debate about the ethics of such a move.
Rivals Microsoft and OpenOffice.org on Tuesday both released toolkits that support building applications for their competing document file formats and productivity suites.
Visitors to the German Web site of Google were met with a strange sight early Tuesday morning: gone was the Google logo, replaced by the name of a local Internet service provider with the message that no content was available for the domain.
Microsoft has announced a new codename for the Windows OS that will follow the yet-to-ship Vista: "Vienna."
After much debate and a lot of contention among the overall IEEE membership, the all-important IEEE 802.11n working group has given its stamp of approval to the next draft version of the specification.
As far back as 2003, Microsoft considered introducing its own rival to the iPod or seeking a partnership with Apple, according to evidence introduced Friday at a Microsoft antitrust trial in Iowa.
MySpace.com has filed a lawsuit against the self-proclaimed "Spam King" for allegedly blasting the portal with spam through the use of compromised user accounts, the Web site said on Monday.
Forget what your spouse looks like? Having trouble remembering you're married? There might be a good reason for that: 65 percent of PC users spend more time in front of their monitors than interfacing with their spouses.
Malicious software that was sent out in millions of spam messages over the weekend has now infected about 300,000 computers, making it the worst malware outbreak since 2005, Symantec said Monday.
A group of independent record labels behind artists such as The White Stripes and The Arctic Monkeys have joined to form Merlin, an agency that will sell music on sites such as MySpace, YouTube and the new advertising-funded SpiralFrog.
Consumer groups in Germany, France, Norway and Finland have joined forces to step up pressure on Apple to loosen the tight ties between its iTunes online music store and iPod music player.
Parallels, which makes Parallels Desktop for Mac software, acknowledged Monday that it is owned by SWSoft after a report in Fortune magazine broke news of the relationship between the companies.
Microsoft, taking its annual dig at rival IBM/Lotus, announced Monday a set of free tools it plans to ship in February to help customers migrate from Notes/Domino.
Cisco Systems plans to resolve a single license compliance issue regarding the use of Linux in one of its iPhones, the company wrote in a blog posting, but a researcher contends that Cisco has more work to do.
Google has removed a few user names and passwords posted inadvertently to a phishing blacklist it compiles and makes publicly available on the Web, the company said Monday.
You can’t just rush out and buy the most expensive hard disk and expect it to be the best at fulfilling all your needs. Different hard disks are designed for different uses and if you buy the wrong one you’ll either waste a lot of money or find that it simply won’t work with your chosen task. Here we list the top 10 things to look out for when you buy a new hard disk, whether it’s for a laptop, desktop, Networked Attached Storage (NAS) device or a server in a data center.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- Box Shuttle makes it easier to ditch on-prem file storage
- Facebook wins appeal over tracking non-members in Belgium
- Terror-suspect database used by banks, governments, has been leaked
- SAP's ERP app for SMBs gets an overhaul for digital transformation
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin) 160617/P/564Asia
- FTTIBCO Technical LeadNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- CCTechnologyOne System Administration and DevelopmentACT
- CCICT Engineer - SecurityQLD
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- CCUrgent requirement for a Splunk SMEVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Toolset ReadinessNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCMedia AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Enterprise DataNSW
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW